1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sit-down Sulkies vs. Stand-on Sulkies

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by genesis215, Apr 17, 2008.

1. genesis215

genesis215 LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone used a sit-down sulky? I am about to get a walk-behind and wondered what you all think of these. What about the ride? Are they really any good? Is a stand-on better? More comfortable? Just wondering.
    1994 Ford Club Wagon Chateau - 5.8L 351 Windsor V8, 138,000 miles
    6 1/2'x10' Open Trailer - Single Axle, 15" Tires
    36" Great Dane 15HP V-Twin Kawasaki Super Surfer w. Floating Deck
    21" Troy Bilt 5.5HP Self-Propelled Mower
    21" Troy Bilt 5.5HP Honda Push Mower
    Shindaiwa T260 Line Trimmer
    Shindaiwa EB630 62cc Turbo Backpack Blower
    Husqvarna 17" 6HP OHV B&S Intek Rear Tine Tiller
    Murray 22" Walk Behind Trimmer/Mower
  2. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not sure if they sell the sit down ones anymore. If you want to sit than what's the point of a w/b?
  3. genesis215

I have a stand-on mower right now, so I am fine with standing. The reason for me getting a walk behind is because riders are very expensive, and way out of my price range, so I wondered if these might be a good thing. What do you all know about the different brands of stand-on sulkies? Which ones are good quality or bad? Any advice would be appreciated.
  4. Lawn Specialties

Lawn Specialties LawnSite Member

I've always used Jungle wheels and loved them. I bought the seat attachment and saying it sucked is being polite. The operating position was awful. The only upside I found was it was easy to remove.
  5. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

I've never used a sit down sulky, but I would think that it would make the controls feel awkward since they are much higher and therefore being uncomfortable for your hands and arms..jmo
  6. genesis215

Thanks alot for the input! Anybody else have an opinion?
  7. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

ouch i wouldnt even consider a sit down as an opiton 2 wheeld sulkys r nasty enough. If your cutting smooth ground then go ahead but. you would take a beating on something with bumps. Get a 2 wheeld and call it a day