sit down sulky

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BerksLawn, Feb 10, 2001.

1. BerksLawn

BerksLawn LawnSite Member

do u think i could put a sit down sulky on a belt drive 48" kees wb or will i be pulling wheelies even though i only weight 160lbs husky has one and on the picture it hs it on a the 36" beltdrive. would it be to much wear on the transmission?

2. BUSHMASTER

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

you should have a problem keeping the front down ....i havent seen a kees but u you can add some weight to the front of the mower to keep it down... but i think you would be more productive with a stand up model with two wheels...better on hills slopes and you can turn it faster and tighter. it's like sufrin daddy-o.......

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I've been pulling a sit down sulky behind a 50" Gravely for 3 years and it was behind a 36" Woods before that for 3 years. The only time it would pull a wheelie is when you went straight up a hill and you got to the top of the hill. Making turns in 4th and 5th gear can be tricky though. For this year I have added a platform to stand on so now it's a sit/stand sulky. There are several manufactures that make a sulky like this.

4. lawman

lawman LawnSite Member

Not to change the subject, but who is it to use a sitdown sulkie?

5. BerksLawn

BerksLawn LawnSite Member

i think im just going to get a 2 wheeled velke i have the 1 wheeled and it clogs up if the ground is weat so ill just put that on my 36". thanks

6. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I made my own sulky for my Toro, the seat sits in a 1 1/2" tube that I welded on the platform. Just make sure the platform is behind the wheels and you won't do wheelies. You have to adjust the base until it balances with you sitting on it, then weld it. If you put it too far back it will make the front end light if you put it too far ahead you will make the front end light. For me it worked best to put most of my weight on the sulky wheels. If I am going up steep hills and need traction I just lean ahead alittle.