Site in the making

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by ChadsLawn, Aug 7, 2006.

1. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

2. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

Lookin good so far. Guess you know the Services/About link isn't working.

Tell me about the forum page - hard to setup .. cost anything?

3. ChadsLawn

forum is free. Ive done alot of forums made by Snitz. So it isnt hard at all. Make sure you read the install instructions real good first. http://forum.snitz.com/

4. JT1304

JT1304 LawnSite Member

Love the gallery pic with the trash can laying in the driveway.

J/K site looks like it is coming along pretty well.

5. ChadsLawn

It was Saturday I mower Friday. Plus it was getting ready to storm.. Had my little girl with me. She was getting scared.

6. WebMan

WebMan LawnSite Member
    from D/FW TX

For now I'd suggest better pictures (can the can) and getting rid of Snitz forums. There are other free forums that will run on anything and are far easier to administer with far more features (I recommend SMF). With Snitz you are always tied to Windows hosting which is generally more $ for less features and Snitz will only run on Windows servers. Forums like SMF will run on any platform if you ever want to change hosting & move. Also because they are so little used the "new" Snitz on your site is the 2000 version (they just don't update it or have an active contributor community for features).

But there is the question of why you want a forum on a contractor web site?

Forums are a BAD thing and take away from a site if they are not active. So unless you think you will have a variety of people asking and answering questions every day they can make you site look "dead" (if a potential customer visits and there hasn't been a post in 2 weeks), If you just want something where potential customers can ask you questions use a blog or at least just one forum...but either way expect to check it twice a day at the least because if you make a place for questions people expect answers soon.

That's something that has always amazed me when I talk to a contractor or person in a service business and they don't check their e-mail at least 3-4 (minimum 2) times a day 362 days a year (maybe not Thanksgiving, Christmas & New Years...but yes, while you are on vacation...e-mail never closes and I know people who couldn't understand why a customer was mad because they didn't e-mail back for 2 weeks ("well me & the wife was just gone on vacation, you'd think they could understand that"...duh--no, the beauty of e-mail is it goes everywhere with you...) and a forum is much the same. Especially if it's just for people to ask questions and the forums are dead...then someone does ask and you're not watching, 3 days later when you answer they won't be either.
    Do you really think lots of sports fanatics are going to any lawn contractor's (not just yours) web site to look to chat about sports? And on top of that; your forums don't link back to your site.

So for now can the can photo, try to get some better ones with "greener" lawns, (none of the photos are very good-sorry), the services page is a 404 error, so is "about us, your PayPal page says they need a PayPal account, don't make them do that, your PayPal account can be configured to accept PayPal payments without them having an account, it's just a check box in your account. Why make them open a PayPal account? How many people use stolen cards to pay for lawn care?

Your pages don't have titles, descriptions or keyword tags. ...and can the forums. And like the last 3 sites people have posted here it's a 1/3 screen site in the middle with big green boxes on either side (more blank green than web site...why does everybody seem to be doing this?) But yours also says "Design downloaded furces!" across the bottom.
    That's a new one on me. What does that mean? Or is it a company? Anyway I could find it on Google and so you don't need it (I can't even get a definition for furces) :confused:

7. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

8. Choctaw Scalper

Choctaw Scalper LawnSite Member

I have been thinking about letting some customers pay using paypal. Do you add a charge for that since it cuts your profit? :usflag: