site plan

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by O'Dell Equipment Rental, Jan 3, 2007.

1. O'Dell Equipment Rental

O'Dell Equipment Rental LawnSite Member

I am closing on a 100 by 400 +/- lot next Monday. I will be moving my business there.

Before I can do anything I have found out I have to have an engineer do a site plan.

I have topo maps already. There are no trees to clear. It looks to be pretty simple, the right front needs to be taken down 5 feet, a 3 to 1 slope needs to be put in along the front and down the right side, for about 250 feet, then shift to a 2 to 1 slope. A ditch needs to be put in along the bottom of the slope all the way back, and a retention pond about 70 x 60 dug in the back. There is a natural slope all the way back that will take care of the ditch flow. My dirt guy said they can do the job in about 2 days or less.

My question is, how much should I expect to pay an engineer to draw all this up on paper and stamp it?

2. Sunscaper

Sunscaper LawnSite Senior Member

About $3000.00 depending on what is going on it. Does it require seperate septic engineering or do you have sewage available to you? Usually if the engineer stamps and draws up plans here for site, and prints you can get a bit of a volume break. Also, ask if you area does as-built elevation filings upon final inspection. Hope this helps.

3. O'Dell Equipment Rental

O'Dell Equipment Rental LawnSite Member

I will have a 1200 sq ft building and a 30x30 pad behind it. Sewer and water are on my side of the road. What is an "as built elevation filing"?
    Thanks

4. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

O'Dell,
    I ran a development company in So. California for many years and was successful beyond my wildest expectations. In the past, I was hired by Cities to help revamp their building codes, hired by other Contractor's to streamline and "fast-track" their operations....this is not meant as brag, I just had found my niche and was/am very good at it. That little set-up brings me to my point: One of the cheapest dollars you will spend up front for your project are the choice of an engineer/architect. Choose wisely, and do not choose solely on the dollar amount an engineer/architect may charge. Talk with builders in the area who are doing the same style project as you and interview about their architect/engineer. Ask if the plans were complete, delievered on time, complaints and cost effective for the subs.....were there changes along the way and if so were they omissions from the A/E or just better ways to do the project. To me, your A/E is a key decision and the only way you are going to find out before you jump in bed, is to interview extensively other builders. This is a must do and could save or cost you (depending) up to 30-50% of the hard cost plus time. Since you don't know the game, go ask questions before you pull the trigger on this one.....most don't and this is a common mistake that most newbie's make because "they want to get going". I have used the same A/E now for over 30 years and he has, in essence, given me financial advantage over the competition by the way and style he draws his plans.

5. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

The detention pond is for you non-point source discharge with is huge for compliance in the future. It has to be engineered for sure, depending on the space develop.

6. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I think they want to see a drawing with the height and front of the building.