Site Under Construction

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by trackgimp, Mar 11, 2006.

1. trackgimp

trackgimp LawnSite Member

Hi All,

I have started the website for my company and I like the start that I have. I used to build websites in college but that was 8 years ago and my skills have eroded quite a bit. I have an "on mouse over" setup on my side navigation bar but it doesn't work quite right and I'm not able to figure out my bug. If you could take a look at it and my code and see if you can see what the trouble is, that would be fantastic!

The site is still a work in progress but I made sure that the cgi mailer form works :) I don't want to miss out on an opportunity for someone to let me know that they found my site.

Thanks!

http://www.indylawns.com

2. trackgimp

I guess maybe my post was a bit too technical. If you are checking out my site a little review would be helpful as well. The only folks who have said anything are my friends and they don't want to hurt my feelings!

I know that the sight is under construction but a few comments would be helpful.

Thanks!

3. ESprinklers

ESprinklers LawnSite Member

trackgimp,

It doesn't look like you are perhaps using the correct mouseout function. Without having a mouseout function, the links will retain their displayed properties that you have selected for the onmouseover.

I can probably try and figure it out for you, but perhaps this will give you a start to figuring out the problem.

4. jblawns123

jblawns123 LawnSite Senior Member

Not being mean here, the site just looks a bit basic to me. It looks like a 1998 website in 2006. Need maybe a nice header... It won't wow anyone.

All the layout and content is there though. I think you should not bother fixing the mouse over nav buttons, and find something nicer for nav.

JMO, don't hate me.:cool2:

5. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Try http://www.buttongenerator.com

Free, and what's not will be soon. You get the code and button images in a zip file download. You can design on their site, including color changes and background.

My home page top menu is that.

I paid $20 to join www.flashbuttons.com for a few frills like the middle of my home page - or see my Advice page. All editable at their sites, with code supplied.

The flash site is even easier to use, but I think the first site I mentioned has some classy looking freebies.

6. trackgimp

Wow, I guess it does look a little out of date. When I was building sites in college we had to worry about people who didn't have the ability to view frames with their browsers.

Thank you for the input!

7. trackgimp

Well, I figured out how to fix the on-mouse-over function. Now I just need to fill the thing with content. Comments and suggestions are always welcome!!

8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

OK well here it goes.I would cap your indy.Can't hardly read the lettering in the words on the right and you have the same pictures of grass under each heading.