1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Situation A:Turn on zone 10

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by CAPT Stream Rotar, May 15, 2007.

1. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

and nothing is on...

where do you question first the field?

or the controler...

I got into this argument today...I /we hopped on another account today...20 zones of HACK N SLAP complete with Soaker hose....nothing coming on...no rain sensor..on a acre and a half of proptery..

so any way zone 10-12 didnt come on....I say the problem is in the field..my boss says go start @ the controler....

What you experts think?
  2. soaked.in.sweat

soaked.in.sweat LawnSite Member

using your volt meter makes sure the controller is putting out proper voltage to zones 10-12 terminals. If you got the proper voltage reading then you know its not the controller. then check your voltage at the valves, if your not getting enough you got a wire break. If you are getting enough then its your valve,or a kink ect.......
  3. Bill S

Bill S LawnSite Member

Usually the field
  4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Start at the controller, work out to the field.

Listen to your boss.
  5. CAPT Stream Rotar

thats what im talking about
  6. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

10-12 didn't come on? My fist guess would be that they share a valve box and that the common is disconnected. I'd check that before I walked to my truck for my voltmeter...
  7. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

This is the way we do it.
  8. CAPT Stream Rotar

thank you...

but to each his own..

I would check wiring/valves before i went checking controlers
  9. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

The first thing I would do before even checking the voltage is to check the resistence using your multimeter. If you have resistence, and the # is correct, then check the voltage. If voltage is good, then go into the field. Try cracking the solenoid to open the valve manually. See what happens, and take it from there.
    I would say your boss is correct by telling you to start at the controller.
  10. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

20 zones and 3 didn't fire...................I would finish running the rest of the system and first make sure I was "missing" any zones. I just hate it when I find out I've been looking for a valve/zone in the back yard that NEVER existed. Next is to make sure there are wires on those zones in the controller. Then, I ohm to see if I can read a solenoid on those zones. If I have good ohms, I check voltage. So, the answer to your question of where to start? You start where you already were. At the controller. The controller did not fire a zone. Find out IF that zone exists, and while your there, make sure the controller works. Then you find the valve in the field.