1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sixing a paved walkway

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by zenn68, Apr 20, 2011.

1. zenn68

zenn68 LawnSite Member

Went to look at a walkway this morning where the pavers were sinking. 3.5'x35'. At the front steps is was down a good 3inches and carried that way in waves trough out. All the pavers were loose with almost no sand in between. I pulled out a few and there was about an inch of sand underneath but they all had about 1/2inch of space between pavers. Also didnt see any edging unless the lawn just grew over it. Right now were looking at pulling out the pavers, bringing up the gravel base as needed, and reusing the old pavers. I figured about 10% new pavers mixed in if need probably on the cuts. Am I on the right track here, any pro-tips to help me along here.
  2. iowa

iowa LawnSite Senior Member
    from NW IA

I would redo the base as well, make sure you have geo-tex underneath and up the sides of the excavation. Many times it is easier and cheaper to just use new pavers by the time you clean them, stack them orderly, etc.
  3. Bru75

Bru75 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with the previous post, the base should be replaced.
    Chances are if you just add to what is there it will continue to settle.
  4. sven1277

sven1277 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree to completely start over on the base. I think it is fine to reuse the pavers, however.
  5. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

this is a complete re-do.

No need for new pavers, they're concrete, they'll outlast the house.....