size and type of bubble rock pump

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by Mr. Midwest, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Mr. Midwest

Mr. Midwest LawnSite Member

I was wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction of what size and type of pump i need to build a bubble rock. The rock will only be about 24" high. It would be nice if it was lv so i can run it to a transformer. Thanks

2. tadpole

tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member

200 - 300 gph mag drive.

3. turner_landscaping

turner_landscaping LawnSite Member

What size hole is in the rock
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Mr. Midwest

Mr. Midwest LawnSite Member

Thanks tadpole. Turner the hole will be 1". What happens during the winter when everything freezes. Do i need to drain the basin? I construct them out of rubber liner

5. tadpole

Someone else from the North may chime in, but I would think that there would be no need to drain the basin in the winter. You will need to remove the pump however.

6. turner_landscaping

turner_landscaping LawnSite Member

I never remove any pumps from any of mine features during the winter. The basins are usually 12-18" deep. If you remove them you still have to store in water to prevent seals from drying out. So I typically make a deeper section in the basins. A 1 inch hole I'd go a little bigger on the pump you can always and in fact recommend a control valve be installed.

7. tadpole

Ditto on the valve.

8. pitrack

pitrack LawnSite Bronze Member

Is that what you would typically run for a 24" tall rock with a 1" hole? I personally have only done installs with 2" holes and use larger pumps (2500-3000gph per hole) so I'm not familiar with 1" holes. Just curious.

Do you happen to have any pictures of them?

9. tadpole

The size of the piping was not given in the opening post, nor was the type of rock or width.

For a 24" high bubbler, I would use 1/2" piping. You are not trying to create a waterfall or a geyser, but, at 24" height, a subtle feature with some ambient background noise IMO. If building a larger feature that is intended to be the focal point in the landscape, everything is increased proportionately.

Aquascape recommends, for example, 3/4" piping with an 800 gph pump on all of their single basalt columns up to 3' height and 3/4" piping and a 2000 gph pump on their sets of three basalt columns or about 667 gph per column. With 1/2" piping you can get the same effect with a 300 gph pump using less water and electricity.
    It's really a question of what is the final effect that you are trying to achieve and how much impact you want the feature to make.

10. pitrack

pitrack LawnSite Bronze Member

Got ya. Thanks for the reply.