1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Size Does Matter!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DynaMow, May 14, 2006.

1. DynaMow

DynaMow LawnSite Senior Member

For the first three years I have mowed with my 48" w/b and for the gated backyards I used a 21", with the thought of purchasing a 36" w/b at some point. So I found this Ransomes/Bob-Cat 36' w/b. Man did I underestimate the value of this size machine. Thought it was going to be used where there are gates. Well let me tell you what, places I didn't see before I got it. Between the shed and the fence on 6th St., fence and house on Prior Ave., the front yards on Kent and Santom roads. Have many other examples. My 48" w/b is hydro with a sulky and have found that many places are quicker with that 36" instead of 48" w/sulky. Not to mention the time savings over the 21" with a better quality of cut.

Wasn't looking to spend alot of $$$$$ for a mower I planned on using on approx 5 backyards a week. Paid $400 for this unit ($120 for two front solid tires and wheels), close your eyes and there is no way to tell it isn't a brand new mower. By second pull each time (even after sitting out all night and day in rain), burns no oil, everything fine.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

$400 is a steal of a deal!! That's one UGLY machine though :laugh:

I couldn't function without a 36, far too many gated backyards I deal with.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

man you guys got to get up to speed thou...

All of mine start with 1/4 - 1/2 length of string pull at about half my strength, first thing in the morning and the rest of the day, too.

Sometimes a second pull, but it's rare and it's only if I slacked a little too much on the first, left handed.

My favorite was the echo weed-eater, barely 4-6 inches of string out and vroom !

One revolution, the plug fires, the engine runs.

Haven't broke a starter cord in years.
    Haven't felt that special pain in the neck since my first year.
    I love premium unleaded and synth oil.
  4. DynaMow

DynaMow LawnSite Senior Member

I want more to have this info, it might help them in a BUMP in the road.
  5. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

Some one posted a thread about a month ago, ''36s are GOLDEN''. Glad to see you have found that out. Nothing beats the bobcat/ransomes either.