1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

size DOES matter!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by tsimmons27, Oct 24, 2008.

1. tsimmons27

tsimmons27 LawnSite Member

This is my second year in the business and I am looking to upgrade my mower. I mower small to medium sized suburban lawns. I'm going to get a walk-behing but am not sure which size would be better. What do you think would be the best size deck for those size yards?

Thanks for your help
  2. djchiodo3

djchiodo3 LawnSite Senior Member

Been mowing for over 20 years. For the last 15 I have been mowing with a 60" deck. All lawns are in the medium size range. You might want to look at the new Wright ZK or toro stand on.
  3. scagdude

scagdude LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

go with a 48" for front yards and 36" for back yards or if you are going to buy just one get the 36"
  4. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

That's what all the girls say!!!!!!:dancing:
  5. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee LawnSite Senior Member

32" if uve got abunch of back yards with gates. id go with a wright stander, or a toro walk behind.
  6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

'small to medium sized' yards is pretty nondescipt. Are you talking 1/4 acre lots with 8K mowable? If so, go with a 36 or 44 inch WB. For peats sake don't use a Z on town lots, that spells laziness and lack of attn to quality.
  7. Tyler7692

Tyler7692 LawnSite Bronze Member

8. brandtb1

brandtb1 LawnSite Member

I like a 48" walk behind. If you deal with gates, you might need to go smaller. I would look at your yards and see if a 48" would be too big, if not I would go with one.

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, if gates are not an issue, I'd say a 52 or 48. But if you have a lot of gates maybe a 36 is best.
  10. lawn crafters

lawn crafters LawnSite Senior Member
    from RI

id say a 32inch stander or 36inch stander