1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

size DOES matter!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by tsimmons27, Oct 24, 2008.

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i have a 48'' on a real small lawn and it isnt a problem. but for gates i would go with a 44 or 36''
  2. BP348

BP348 LawnSite Member

Is there a standard size for gates? I'm guessing 36" If so how do you get a 36" or 44" through the gate? Sorry i know it's a new guy question but this is the area I'd like to get into my self.
  3. sweetz

sweetz LawnSite Bronze Member

36" gates - once you put the latch and hinges on there, the poles that hold the gate have to be wider to accommodate those things. So, a 36" gate open has about a 37"-38" opening.
  4. RocketLab

RocketLab LawnSite Member

I'm in San Antonio and if your around this area anything bigger than a 32" will leave you stuck in the gate on most backyards.
  5. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

LOL 13 posts and 7 different deck sizes did you get the info you were looking for? The recommendations had more to do with location then lawn sizes and that is understandable ever area is different I'm in 60 inch ztr country but of my 4 major mowers only one is a 60 I also have a 52 I wish we had gone 60 we have a 44 and a 36. I think you will need to post some more info for starters where do you live kind helps to know what type of lawns and fence issues you have there.
  6. Midstate Lawncare

Midstate Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I'd get a 48" or 52".... push mow the back yards. Snapper makes a hell of a nice and relatively inexpensive 48" wb. I have a 52" scag freedom Z. Sweet "little" mower, but big enough for the commercial stuff.
    ~ and on the comment of lazy ~
    So What? lol