1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Size Matters???

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by toddnks, Jul 21, 2005.

1. toddnks

toddnks LawnSite Member

Ok, here I am another guy who has a large property to mow. Fortunate for me I make my living not cutting grass all the time, so I don't know about all the issues related to different manufacturers. The question to me is complex, but should have a simple answer.

I have $5K. Possibly more (depends on how I spend it) to spend on a ZTR or CUT or possibly a large Lawn and Garden Tractor.

I have no pre-formed opinions about any manufacturer as I currently mow with a IH Cub 154 with a 3260 deck. The tractor was built when I was 2. So my experience with current equipment is none.

The cub is a 15 horse 4 cylender machine with a 1300+rpm pto. This drives a 60" mower deck. It takes me multiple days to mow my ground (5 acres - house, driveways, and a pond). If I am lucky and spend a large amount of time on the tractor I can burn 8 to 10 gallons of fuel and have everything mowed. This happens about 2 times a year.

So I have decided to purchase something that will allow me to complete the task in about 1 day or less.

My delima is that I think I would be money ahead to purchase a 60+" commercial rather than a smaller commercial or residential. As you can tell I don't plan on getting rid of what I purchase. I have my opinions about brands just like everyone else, so I am not looking for that recomendation, but rather am I right in thinking that a 60" is better than a 48 or 50?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

PS the slope I live on is about a grade with the pond being a little steaper. The 154 goes great side to side or up and down on the pond dam (though when the growth is thick, I can kill the tractor on an up cut.
  2. toddnks

toddnks LawnSite Member

Sorry guys, this was supposed to read differently. The line that says fortunate for me was supposed to say unfortunately.

3. zgman

zgman LawnSite Member
    from va

You live in Hustler country!

Super Mini-Z gets my vote. Speed, support, rock solid frame, suspension seat, big gas tanks.

Post a pic of your property if you don't mind. :waving:
  4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

You are right in thinking 60" or above in a full commercial grade unit for your 5 acres, But if you really want to keep mowing time down stick with the ZTR they are much quicker and more agile than a lawn tractor.
    My boss mows his 5 acres with a 60" Dixie Chopper (The worlds fastest lawn mower) within 4 hrs.
    Good luck shopping !
  5. Redneckn

Redneckn LawnSite Senior Member

Hustler makes a good machine. Fast and easy to operate. it is a little bit high priced. but an overall good machine.

Gravely makes a good machine for the money. For someone that is not mowing for a living, but mowing his/her own yard, the Gravely is about as perfect as you will get. easy to control, makes a nice cut.
    If I needed a ZTR it would be a gravely.

on the fastest mower note. I cut the yard at the farm, almost 5 acres, in less than 5 hours on a Craftsman Garden Tractor. 50" cut with 3hi/3lo trans.
  6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Boss doesn't mow like I do either, Balls to the wall.
    We use to be a Gravley Dealer, Got tired of working on that junk ALL the time!
  7. toddnks

toddnks LawnSite Member

Here is a pic of the back yard, don't knock the grass, at this point I am just glad to have some back here.

I will have to snap a picture of the front, you will all love the view I would bet.
  8. Redneckn

When I worked for the dealer back in Shreveport, we were a Deere/Gravely/Hustler/Grasshopper dealer. We sold the crap out of Gravelys and hardley every had any in the shop for anything other than routine. Was the same with Hustler. Deere and Grasshoppers both were constantly in and out.

The Dixies that i have worked on and ridden, i was not all that impressed with. The seemed to me, like they were tossed together rather quickly. I know the sales guy came by talking all that "fastest" mower business, we got out a Hustler Range Wing and told him to "bring it". he wouldnt bring it. something about the 14 foot cutting path i think. haha.
  9. toddnks

toddnks LawnSite Member

I would love to have that 14' path! I can't imagine what that would be like, I did look at a Toro 12' fairway mower but figured that a 5,000 or so hours and the fact that I would have to water all the time if I cut it that short, well it just wouldn't be worth it.

I like the stainless of the Dixies, but probably will go with a brand more common in this area, such as Cub, Toro, ExMark, or John Deere. Possibly Grasshopper. I have looked at some like Yazoo, Scag, Wright, and a couple of others which I know are common in the commercial market, but not in the farm market. Where I am at I have a Cub Dealer, and a Toro Dealer 10 miles away, a John Deere dealer 10 miles the other way.

The Toro Dealer also sells new Holland, but the best I saw there was a behemoth of a mower which was like $20K.
  10. Redneckn

If you are mowing your own yard, then a grasshopper is a fine machine. a little bit high. but really nice cut. and fast enough for normal folks.
    Scag makes a nice machine as well. Everybody I know that has one cant say enough good things about it. I have a friend back home that is a dealer and he even tells me they are good machines. He does not brag about the Deere the way he does the scags.