size matters?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Keegan, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Keegan

Keegan LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

Will a 36" deck get through most gates or is a 32" better?

Thanks!

2. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

What size are the gates?

3. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

IT will get thru most but not all. I wish I never bought a 36" like I did. I wish I just got the 48" or bigger the first time around. Also keep in mind with gates how much more trimming their is ussually. So yea its like if you get a 36" your already setting yourself up for BS lawns. Does anyone else aggre with me that a 36" belt doesnt get into those tight places like a 53" hydro would. I really noticed that when I demoed the hydro it would fit into a lot tighter spots then the 36" belt. A 32" hyrdro would be an impressive mower I would think.

4. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I run a Ferris 32 Hydro on almost every single lawn I do. It fits through about 95% of all gates.

The problem is, it's a chore to turn it 180 degrees. Especially if you're on a hill.

I could probably mow the small lawns, and lawns with lots of obstacles, just a fast with a 21", but I prefer the Ferris for it's horse power when I run into thick, wet grass. On my larger properties where I have wide open spaces with long stripes, the Ferris is definitely saving me time.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

5. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Keegan, Should have asked this sooner.. What do you have now. I started with a 48" belt and it worked great for me along with the 21 for small stuff. Still had a few gates that I could not make so this year I got a 36" hydro. Love it. On 5k and less stuff it is faster than the 48 was because it goes backwards and can turn much easier. The stuff I was using 48-21 now I just use 36 and it is much faster. The hydro is great! Only have to take the 21 on 3 lots.
    I got the 36 Toro proline with pistol. What I plan to do to make this a perfect trim mower for me is to put 4.5 inch tires on it and take off the 6.5 so I can get closer on the trim turning and I will try to put the Exmark ECS system on it as I keep hitting my hands on trees and fences. I hope that will fit.
    That 4" on the deck is more than 10% more in cut each pass so I would go 36. You have to think production on all your lots. If you can't fit and it's to big for the 21 maybe drop it or charge for it as everybody else will have the same problem with the job. Hope you understand what I mean.
    After reading DWF post on turning the farris hydro, be aware that he is talking a single hydro and I have the dual which is very easy to turn. There is a big price difference between the two. Demo what you think you want and make sure it works for you.

6. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

32" is better. Will fit almost every gate. I have had gate with only 1/2" on each side of the mower. I have a 32" and will never will own a 36" mower. I have a belt drive 32", which is great for little spaces, but a pain to back up.

Hydro is the only way to go with a 32" mower. But now the Wright velke mower is the only dual drive 32" hydro. eXmark stop making theirs.

You also can get the snapper or ferris single hydro. Which is what DFW has. But I have a 48" ferris hydrowalk SD and real pain to turn.

7. lawnjockey51

lawnjockey51 LawnSite Member

What about the Gravely 34 inch ZTR? I have seriously been looking at them and have heard mostly good stuff ....

8. CWG

CWG LawnSite Member

Theres a deal at the local tractor place- Ferris HydroWalk SD 48" for 1500.00 three years old, looks in good shape.
    So...you find it a pain to turn? 180 degree turns or those gentle radius type turns where you need to make a turn over a 100 yard stretch?
    Or is it a mechanical problem?
    thanks, CWG

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Just use whatever mower to make the gate wider...lol

10. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

cwg I had a ferris hydrowalk sd 48" I had it 3 years and sold it for $2000 w/grassgobbler, velke. It is more like a belt drive. You use the brakes to turn 180 degrees. But if you wanted to if you shoved the controls sideways it would turn almost a 180 degrees. Shallow turns are made by pushing on the controls slightly, if you don't feel like using the brakes. Great on large flat open areas. Just don't take it on any hills. Lose traction going sideways.