size of lawn?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Jan 7, 2003.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

When you guys say a 7k sq ft lawn or 10k sq ft. whatever, do you mean just the turf areas or the whole property including house, garage, drive, etc.?

2. When i say a 7k lawn i mean the turf area's.

3. Strawbridge Lawn0

Strawbridge Lawn0 LawnSite Member

TURF AREAS..I measure turf area for dispersion of fertilizer, seeding and weed control products properly and to some degree on pricing..

4. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

The size will always be turf areas and possibly beds.

Gravely_Man

5. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I dont say 7k cause thats in dollars I use the m/sf for turf -LOL!!!

Yes, (just as has been stated) it refers to the actual square footage of areas to be serviced. This way if your on a two acre site that is heavily wooded you would be quoting services based on what you cut.

If you had a two acre property surrounded by say pasture, and of that 1.5 acres required bush-hogging, you would then be quoting 22m/sf of Fine Lawn Mowing and 66m/sf of Rough Cut Mowing.

The same goes for trimming and edging as well. I designate so many Linear Feet (lf) for line trimmers and so much for stick edgers. Then determine how many blades will be used, add up the fig's. and submit a combined price for that portion of the estimate.

6. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

When I say xx amount of sq.ft., I mean am talking about perimeters (LxW) or area, not just turf, UNLESS it a commercial with a parking lot, then its turf. The reason I do area is because I have to edge the hard surfaces,possilbly trim the cracks of hardsurfaces, and also trim around the house (or building or whatever may be there), etc. Plus the hardsurfaces have to blown off. So I don't measure just the turf.

7. lrose2

lrose2 LawnSite Member

I'm with Greenman! I figure lot size because all those other areas need some degree of attention also. May not be mowing, could be edging or just blowing the debris off the area. Still it will probably need some kind of attention.

8. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

You are correct. However, you will need to know your production capabilities in order to perform these tasks at a profitable price.

So therefore, IMHO the total acreage of a property doesnt mean a thing. However, how many m/sf of area to be mowed does, how many lf of trimming/ lf of edging does, how many min/hrs to blow off the property does.

You really cannot come up with a factor based on the overall acreage of site, you need to know how long each task being performed is going to take and figure a price based on production times.

Just my .02

9. When I say 7m or 10m, I mean that's the front lawn.

There is still about 30m in the back. LOL