Size of LCO??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ACutAbovesiny, Sep 19, 2006.

1. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

I'm setting some goals for next year and one of them is to run a second crew. I dont expect to start the year like that but hope that I will need to during the year.

My question is how many crews is too much?? I would personally like to have no more than 3. I also do other work like pavers, new design, plowing, etc. So are some of your opinions?
  2. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

No opinions??
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

when there is no fun involved in it anymore
  4. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i think it depends on how its set up. what each crew is assigned to.

i would love, a lawn crew and landscape crew. the landscape crew could be responsible for also trimming, etc, anything that would slow the lawn crew down.
    i'm sure it will be a nice problem to have when i get to it.

on the island, with all the traffic, i wouldn't want 3 crews worth of trucks (fuel) and guys pay sitting in traffic.... unless the money was coming in to warrant it.
  5. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

adam, you do the trimming and let your helper run the mowers, dont you? how do you like it? thats the way i started doing it. it seems that all the houses have minimal trimming and i'm done alot sooner. thanks
  6. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

been like that for years (8 to be exact). just this monday i hired a sceond guy, full time, which is a big deal for me. same deal, i trim, 2 mowers going.... or if this house is small, i just do the blowing:) .... or even smaller, rest my head on the steering wheel and listen for the door to open letting me know they're done.:)
    strange sometimes though, some house have the same time amount of mowing vs. trimming. either that or my guy is eating his wheaties... but for the most part, i always finish first, and grab a blower.

but i noticed this week, the best part of an additional guy, 3 blowers going with the leaves! what an unreal differnce in time, effort, and morale:weightlifter:
  7. mythntr

mythntr LawnSite Member

I run 2 three man mowing crews, plus a shrub and cleanup crew and sprinkler repair guys. Im also a contractor so I do fences, decks etc. Probably will have to add another crew this next summer and that is the point when I will do nothing but run around a get things for the crews,do bids, and go play with mommma. I will have to hire a guy specificaly to take care of those 3 crews. Too much can happen in the day to day operations.
  8. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats my answer too!
  9. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

I imagine thats it
  10. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

One super crew (3) guys trained well, streamlined with no fat and a tight route. In todays competitive pricing it's the only way to go. In my area not just IMO, a reality! Multiple crews are sloppy, get lazy and become unmanageable. You'll make great money and have a life.