Size of Truck Motor?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by kooba, May 16, 2008.

1. kooba

kooba LawnSite Member

I need some help from the motor heads on this board. I have found a 90' something, single cab 2 wheel drive truck to pull my trailer. I was talking to the dealer and he said the 300 4.9L is better than the 302 motor. What do you all think? He said there are a lot of problems with that motor. We are looking for a truck in the early 90's any brand would be fine. We want to stay in the 1/2 ton range also. I pull two ZTR's on a 16 ft tandem axel trailer. Just want to make sure I have a big enough motor to pull without struggling. Thanks. kooba.

2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I have an 88 2wd F150 with the 4.9L in it. Its a great pulling motor! You won't win any races with it but its a good strong engine! Just watch the e4od auto tranny.

3. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

The '83 F-series I had with the 300 motor (inline 6) was a workhorse.
    Definately not a tire-burner, but reliable. (Mine had 165,000 miles when I got it, and I put another 60,000 on it before I put it in the ground.)

4. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

The 300-6 will pull better and last longer than the 302. I don't think there were a lot of problems with the 302 but the dealer is telling the truth in that the 4.9 is the better choice for almost any purpose.
    Good luck.

5. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

as i said in my post in manual truck.he is right.

6. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

There's nothing wrong with the 302. I have a 96 F-150 with 302 runs like a champ your dealer don't know squat ...

7. kooba

kooba LawnSite Member

Just to let you know that the truck is a 96' with the 300 4.9L 2 wheel drive and he wants $3000 Good deal or what?

8. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

The 5.0 302 and the 4.9 6 are both very good engines. The 302 has more hp and will get up and go quicker, but the 4.9 has more torque for pulling. 3,000 for a 96' 2wd? How many miles and what kind of condition? You can get a 90's F150 5.0 4x4 around here for 3500-4000

9. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

There's many variables that come into play how's the body, transmission, engine ..?
    How many miles does it have...?
    got any pics...?

10. genesis215

genesis215 LawnSite Senior Member

I had a 302 several years ago, and it was fantastic. Just try and find one with the manual transmission. The E4OD is not that great of a transmission, but it's alot better than the Dodge transmissions (those are terrible!). Chevy has the best automatic transmission, but if you go to a '97 or newer you can get a great transmission on the Ford as well. I have had a van with the E4OD, and a van with the newer generation transmission. There is a HUGE difference! The newer one is much better.