Size of your Yellow Page Ad

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Jpocket, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

How big of an ad do you guys get typically, and do you advertise in the other book "yellow Book". I just purchased a colum ad in the yellow book and a bold listing in the Verizon book. This is our first year for YP advertising.

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have gone with anywhere from a 1" ad, to a 1/4 page ad before. This year (for 2006) I am only doing a column ad (about 3" by 1")

3. Jpocket

How many calls a week do you get from a small add. I went small this year because I wanted to test the waters

4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I have been in the Yellow Book (formerly Feist) for the last few years with fairly poor results. I always stayed away from the SBC book because they were twice as expensive. This year SBC was about the same price, so I went with them also. I recieved more calls from SBC this past fall than I usually get from Feist (Yellow Book) all year. My ad was 2.5" and reversed (white text on black background). I have done full color display ads with yellow book and didnt receive any more calls that a simple, $500 2" text ad. I have been collecting phone books for the last 3 or 4 years. Look at what your competition is doing. Are they placing the same sized ads every year? Did they start off small and go big or vise versa? There is one company that does chem apps only (trees, shrubs and lawns). They have had a half page ad for the last 5 years. Something tells me that this has been working for them or why would they spend that kind of money....year after year???

To answer your question, calls per week will of course vary to the time of the year. My 2.5 inch ad that came out in August generated about 10 calls a week for about a month, but we also received about 9" of rain in a 10 day period, so many of these were from people that wanted one time mows. I will definetly choose SBC book over yellow book if it came right down to it.

5. tiedeman

from earth

I have noticed that with the larger ad I do get more calls compared to the smaller ads. But after a while the larger ads are expensive. Like I paid $210 a month here this past year for the 1/4 page ad

6. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

stay AWAY from the yellow book. they are scam artists!! they don't distrubute nearly the # of books they say they do. can't say enough bad things about them....

7. laborador

laborador LawnSite Member

Has any one tried the community phone book. I believe they only exist in the southeast. They are designed to focus on a certain area of town instead of the whole town such as the yellow pages.

8. Jpocket

Really? i already got an add will see how well it works

9. tiedeman

from earth

every one here gets the yellow pages (SBC) puts them out. There are two other books here as well, but I never advertised in them. The reason that I do the SBC because they provide probably 90% of the people here with phone services

10. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

i just signed for a dollar bill size ad in the yellow book coming out in feb 06. i did sbc last year and got $20,000 worth of work from it . the area i am targeting now sbc doesnt provide service for.