Sizing to site plans

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Ocutter, Oct 18, 2000.

1. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

Let me see if I can ask this the right way. Say you have an outline of a big bed in a site plan (29x74) Do you draw the plants to scale as is when bought or would you draw them bigger to their mature size.
    This next one is an input question. The above bed is shaped like a dog bone 29' deep narrowing to 12.5' in the middle to 29' again, 74' wide. The area is sunny and must be kept low (under 3-4').
    I was thinking of putting approx 40 inkberry hollies in the middle running widthwise, at the 29' ends put approx 77 old gold junipers (38+38). And in front of the hollies there wold be 37 liriope. The hollies and old golds are 1.5' when bought and the grasses are 1'. This would be 1 of 4 islands at a large comm. account.

2. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

trees: maples, oaks, etc.
    draw in 24-30' scale range

evergreens: pines, spruce, etc.
    draw in the 15' to 20' scale range

shrubs: holley, barberry, etc.
    draw in the 3' to 10' scale range

Maybe of some help for drawing. However, it depends greatly on your style. Some people prefer drawing in the scale of 5 year maturity of plant, others 10, others completely different. Can be very dependent on plant selection, what people want (some people want everything packed together), etc.

For instance, if you were to draw in a boxwood hedge, the scale would be greatly dependent on the time the people want the hedge to fill in. If they want a instant hedge, then more plants/larger sizes may be required and the scale would have to pretty much be exactly to scale of the plants being installed. If the people are patient, you may scale down the material but still draw it in at full size to demonstrate what it will look like. A lot of diff't factors that only you can figure out.

Also, when drawing such things as 'Mass' planting area, stay away from drawing each indvidual plant in each of its spots if the plan is for show at least (if it is going out to bid or is going to be a working site plan, then a lot of people do just draw all the circles in) Draw things like 'blobs' as I call them and hatch/color/shade it in, then label it on you plan as '40 inkberry holley, etc., planted 42" on center, etc. etc. If you want, draw dots/x's/etc. inside the blob to demostrate the centers of plants for more effect.

Also, the liriope may not be a great choice for in front of inkberry. Ink berrys tend to 'bottom out', I mean become twiggy at the bottom 2-3 ft over time. The liriope will not look so good over time in front of them. Maybe another lower growing plant in front, like crimson pygmy barberry, ,spireas, etc. will work better, or a different perenial like rudbeckia, daylily, etc.. Also, the liriope can be a maintenacne nightmare (pulling weeds out of) if it does not fill in quick or is not maintained on a regular basis.

steveair

[Edited by steveair on 10-18-2000 at 10:23 PM]

3. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

I'll give you my 2 cents re: plant scale in drawings - I was taught to draw plants at 2/3 of their mature size. I try to do this for all plant material (except ground covers, some annuals/perennials).

Hope this helps.

4. Ocutter

Thanks for the advice. I was trying to get a better idea of #s of plants to fill out the area yet get the bid. Tough call. Steve , I was thinking of the stella doro daylilies but I thought it would be too yellow along with the junipers. Is there a red variety? Stone thanks for the rule I'll keep it in mind

5. IvyLeagueLandscape

IvyLeagueLandscape LawnSite Member

I'm a firm believer in planting to give constant color, but not over crowd. I like the day lillies better than Liriope. I don't believe there is a red form. Also, it sounds like you using alot of the same plants. What about groupings. Spirea is a great plant to group and depending on the amount of sun they will take off. I like the gold mound or Anthony Waterer(sp).

Good luck with the bid

6. Ocutter

Ivy League- what are your reasons for not liking Liriope. Weed control like steve said, or color.

7. IvyLeagueLandscape

IvyLeagueLandscape LawnSite Member

I like the color but for some reason I just have'nt had the best of luck with Liriope. It tends to dry out and it sounds like this plan you are designing is in a common area which may not get irrigated.

8. Ocutter

Oh It'll get water all right. The bid (I'll be presenting today) calls for 27 total zones with approx 100 mist/ spray heads throughout the islands and walkways. I told my sub to make sure of that. I wasnt going to rely on the turf heads to supply the water for the plants. Wish me luck.