Skag vs Lesco

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by worthbrown, Apr 5, 2003.

1. worthbrown

worthbrown LawnSite Member

Just curious, the last 2 yrs I had an LCO mowing my grass with a Skag turf tiger. I always thought he did a bad job, but didn't know if it was him or the mower. This year I bought a new Lesco Z2 60" w/ 25 kawi, to mow it myself, and the lawn looks better than it ever did when he mowed it. After he mowed you could still see the tire tracks where it looked like the blades were not lifting the grass to cut it, and it never looked even. I wasn't sure if he was a poor operator, or if a brand new Lesco cuts that much better than a 2 yr old Skag.

2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

It's "Scag" not Skag. Just FYI.
    I own a Scag and I can tell you that they cut beautifully so it was either operator error, misadjustment/dull blades, or operator error again!

combs4.jpg

3. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

sounds like he never cleaned out the deck.
    Scag is basically the best mower out there as far as cut quality---especially the walk behinds.

Good luck with the lesco, though, it is a good machine and will give you many years of service.

4. worthbrown

worthbrown LawnSite Member

Another thing I thought of is height of cut. I am cutting at 3" (fescue), if he were cutting it higher than that, could it give the appearance of a bad cut? The ground is very rough, so I don't think he could have been driving too fast.

5. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

Could have been alot of things, deck pitch etc. Probably was operator error, bad maintainence, blades etc. Your lesco will give a great cut appearence it has rollers mounted on the back of the deck, that really defines the cut. Good luck with your mower.

6. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

If he wasn't tearing the turf and was able to run the mower straight, I doubt I waoud say operator error, however..... possibly overlapping too far, and most likely not changing/sharpening blades often enough or not cleaning deck..... I don't like the Scag advantage deck, but it should have cut nice in the conditions you mentioned.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Seeing other peoples equipment parked outside my favorite lunchtime greasy spoon, its no wonder your seeing complaints about quality of cut.

Some guys' mowers are....
    1] Very dull, worn back, sharpened 100's of times but now dull.

2] Decks very obviously out of pitch (were talking inches not 1/8's of an inch!)

3] Visibly flat or low tires.

4] Leaking hoses, etc.

5] Different things tied together with bailing string or duct tape!

So when I'm complaining that I'm not happy with my cut, or my tire is losing a pound of air a day or, or.....

You get the idea!

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You sound like me Tommy.