skid back window

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by bobbyg18, Mar 24, 2007.

1. bobbyg18

bobbyg18 LawnSite Member

whats the easiest way to get the back window to pop back in?...any tricks?... i tried for an hour today and couldnt get it back in...any ideas appreciated, thx
  2. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

If the seal has a rubber filler, remove it. Insert seal onto window openning. Spray with a soap solution. Get the glass started and work it into the seal. Once its in and seated, lube and install the filler.
  3. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Pull window and gasket out. Put gasket on window. Take a thin piece of cotton string (<1/8 " dia) and place into groove, all the way around the gasket. Place all into window hole bottom first, with 2 ends of string hanging out at the firht and left. As you push gasket into sides of hole, pull on the string, it will lead the leading edge of the gasket into the hole, and work like a zipper. Of course some lubricant helps too.payup payup payup
  4. kreft

kreft LawnSite Bronze Member

how did you get it out in the first place????
  5. tallrick

tallrick LawnSite Senior Member

Put a picture of it. Is this out of the Thomas on your website? There are several types of gaskets used. Most Thomas skid steers have a gasket where the glass fits in first, then the gasket is installed using the string method above. Some Bobcats have a gasket with a flap that allows the window to easliy pop out and it can be installed with the gasket in place. A retainer is used with most of those. Either way, definately use soap as an installation aid. Grease or oil is a bad idea as it will break down the rubber. Talcum powder is another choice for certain gaskets.
  6. bobbyg18

bobbyg18 LawnSite Member

thanks...the gasket does have a flap...i'll try and take a picture later is my blew out on the highway, it must have been loose

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

carrying the skid the wrong way. Back it on to trailer because they are made to push out as an emergency exit.
  8. bobbyg18

bobbyg18 LawnSite Member

suede, the skid is backed up on trailer always...the window must have been pushed into the cab somehow and the wind from the highway blew it into the cab

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

my bad just when I heard that figured it was pulled on, I have seen a bunch of guys around here do it.

Is it a full Cab?