Skid Loader or Tractor?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Swampy, Dec 12, 2007.

?

Which loader?

1. Skid loader

72.0%
  2. Tractor with a bucket

16.0%
  3. Both

12.0%
  1. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a New Holland 865 but it's reaching the end of our life cycle (10 years). Debating between a new skid loader or tractor. Whatever it is, its going to be used for landscaping jobs, taking spancrete weights out of the trucks, snow plowing.

2. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

complete all the jobs in your mind that this machine will be expected to do. then it should be easier to deside, for me I went with a skid for you I don't know I have been a landscaper for as long as dirt is old and I have no clue what the hell spancrete is

3. Swampy

Span crete is pieces of concrete with rebar threw it. I'll find you pic soon enough.

4. mark_the_psycho

mark_the_psycho LawnSite Member

Skid, tractors do have a longer life expectancy, but a skid is the way to go. If you're doing landscaping, a tractor is not something you will want to try to turn around in smaller yards. Also, a skid is a lot more versatile, look at this...

http://bobcat.com/loaders/attachments/overview

5. Swampy

The Skid is I believe a 95, got it used. Its not like we are dumping off our problems to somebody else, but you can get more for trade in instead of running it to the ground. I forgot to mention that it doesn't have a high output pump on it. Our service is majority commercial/HOA properties, the only residential property we have is the owner of a development company and thats a decent size.

Leaning towards tractor with a Bat Wing. So then we can also get rid of our Toro 580-D which is due up in about 2 years to get replaced and the last time I looked a Toro 5000 series is up to about 70 - 80K new. Also in my opinion its easier to stack snow with. Higher break out force then a skid. Easier on existing turf.

But a skid is faster to load trucks, we buy mulch/stone in bulk at the beginning of the season about 100yds of hardwood, 20yds of the red dyed mulch, and about 50yrds of spardust stone. The skid can get into tighter spaces. Has a slew of attachments for rent or for purchase. Also we have to call in dumpster to haul debris away and we can drive it up into the back of a dumpster to compact it down.

Maybe I'm looking into to much.

6. AAXteriors

AAXteriors LawnSite Member

Im not sure if you are aware but i know that the kubota B26 can take and run skid attachments.