Skid Loader tracks

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by ACutAboveKevin, Oct 31, 2006.

1. ACutAboveKevin

ACutAboveKevin LawnSite Member

I recently had to used a skid loader in one of my customers lawns and unfortunately the ground was a little soggy. all in all it tore it up a little bit and left the tracks from the front to the back. each time i go there to do a little more landscaping i kinda jump on the surrounding soil to push it down a little (Their lawn is always really wet so it pushes back together rather easy). my question is, what is the proper way to fix this so its like new, not like someone has been jumping on it. bring in topsoil and sod? also, should i charger them for it? its my fault that they lawn got tore up, but the skidloader is a necessity for moving the boulders we had to do. thanks for the help
    Kevin

2. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

Take a plate compactor or jumping jack to it, then it might take plv top soil in the middle and a little sod.

3. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

If I see we will be damaging the lawn with the Cat going in and out, I will build that into my estimate. It is part of the job that is to be expected. Depending on the client, we will add soil and re-seed or sod.

4. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

When we first started using skids in peoples backyards for work, we invested in about 50 sheets of cheap 1/2" plywood that we lay down on the lawns so that we don't leave ruts. If we're doin a job that requires a lot of wheelbarrowing back and forth into the backyard, we'll set planks out as well to reduce the wheel marks. Even though we put down planks and boards of plywood, we still include a lawn repair charge just incase it's needed. Obviously if we're doin a job without an already established lawn like say on a new home, we just go anywhere. Tracked machines are also a lot less damaging to turf than wheeled ones.

5. ACutAboveKevin

ACutAboveKevin LawnSite Member

ok, ill prolly keep workin it in the best i can, then put down a lil soil n sod it and charge them. thanks guys.

6. ozd12005

ozd12005 LawnSite Senior Member

Cheap plywood

7. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

If its wet dont go on it. When you add top soil to a wet area = more mud. Let it dry then take top soil in and spread. If you were just moving something in i would advise customer what will happen and will be an exrta fee to repair. Other wise with out communication you might have to bite the bullet.
    Mike