Skid Loader

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by DBL, Sep 13, 2005.

1. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

Hey guys We have done about 4 - 5 skid loader jobs this year. We rent our skid since we dont have one. It cost about $200.00 for us to rent the skid and the trailer for the day. how much would you guys charge to take it out to a job then for labor. our latest job that we are using it on is clearing brush and small woods in a back yard. Thanks Tom

2. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

we charge $70.00 per hour with a 2 hour min for contractors and 4 hr min for homeowners. Unless we are just taking it the make life easier for our crew. S250 with very experienced operator.

3. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

We own, and charge a minimum of 350.00. I would get at least this for your work. payup

4. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

At what point does the clock start: when you leave the shop or once you are on the site? Thanks.

5. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

thanks guys for your input

6. Emerscape

Emerscape LawnSite Member

I do the same thing. I use rental equipment whenever possible. Around here i can get a mini x or a skidsteer for about $150 - $200 with a trailer for a day. I typically charge between $275 and $350 depending on the client and if there is an absolute need for the machine. If its a job that could be done by hand but the machine would make it easier I go on the lower end of the spectrum.

7. Pecker

Does the 275 - 350 include rental or is that your take-home?

8. Emerscape

Emerscape LawnSite Member

im sorry.. that includes the rental... it seems to have worked well for me. id rather use machines whenever possible ( i have a herniated disk in my back) ive been in businesss for about three months now and have been coming in average with my bids compared to my competitors... i like the option of renting but sometimes its annoying to try to pick it up and then u have to clean it and fill it up before u bring it back the next day

9. Pecker

Cool, thanks for the info. I've become interested in the possibility of getting into some contracting with a skid steer sometime within the next few years. Although I'm nowhere near realizing it, I've been kind of looking at what it would take to get started up. I think I could find a nice Bobcat T190 with a cab and a/c for less than 20k (there are a few things higher on the list right now though) and attachments could be rented locally for those special tasks. I'd definately want to own and not rent for the reasons mentioned earlier. The biggest obstacle is that I have no experience operating one and don't have time right now to work for someone in order to learn. I just think it would be an excellent source of income that would be do-able in the long run (as opposed to lawn maintenance). Any thoughts? Thanks for the info.

PS Good thread DBL. . .

10. Pecker

Cool, thanks for the info. I've become interested in the possibility of getting into some contracting with a skid steer sometime within the next few years. Although I'm nowhere near realizing it, I've been kind of looking at what it would take to get started up. I think I could find a nice Bobcat T190 with a cab and a/c for less than 20k (there are a few things higher on the list right now though) and attachments could be rented locally for those special tasks. I'd definately want to own and not rent for the reasons mentioned earlier. The biggest obstacle is that I have no experience operating one and don't have time right now to work for someone in order to learn. I just think it would be an excellent source of income that would be do-able in the long run (as opposed to lawn maintenance). What do you pay annually in insurance to run a Bobcat? And what type of insurance would you buy (i.e. general contractor, construction???) Any thoughts? Thanks for the info.

PS Good thread DBL. . .