Skid Mount Sprayer Recommendations!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Randy Scott, Jun 5, 2001.

1. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I am looking at purchasing a skid mount sprayer and was wondering what you guys use, suggest, and what to watch for? I already know I want the Honda engine and either a 200 or 300 gallon tank. I will use it for weed control and fertilizing, I guess that makes a difference in pump choices. Also, should I get one capable of agitating the mix. I just want to make sure I get every option I will need so I don't have to get a different one a year down the road because I missed something. Any opinions are appreciated. Thank you.

2. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

Randy,

I just bought a Lesco 200 gallon sidemount sprayer. Fits in front of the wheelwells with plenty of room left for dry products. I am happy with the unit. I think the only option for engines is the Kawasaki line. It works nice. Mine has 300 ft of 1/2 inch hose. If I wear it out I will replace it with 400 ft of 3/8 hose...more length and less weight. 200 seems to be the right size for my truck. I have a 97 Ram 3/4 ton with the Cummins diesel and 5 speed. The truck has overload rear springs to help with the weight. I can have the tank full and still feel like the truck can handle it, but if I were to go to 300 gallons I would want a 1 ton. In my opinion 200 gallons is a great size for alot of small residential jobs, but on the bigger stuff I can spray it out in the matter of an hour or two. Then it's back to refilling and wasting time making up another 200 gallons. The niche, small jobs where you pull in and mow, then spray when you are done. Kind of like a quick reponse full service vehicle. Next year I hope to add an Isuzu NPR style truck with around 800 gallons of capacity for a dedicated spray vehicle. Let me know if I can answer any more questions.

Ben

3. RMc Lawn

RMc Lawn LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I bought a 300 gallon setup through Westheffer last year, If you can I would go with a 300 set up. my old one was 200 gallons and the extra 100 makes a big time savings. Also if you will be using liquid fertilizer I would spend the extra money and go w/ an aluninum or S.S. framework, then you do not have the rust problem.

4. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

200 gals works good for me with a lot of mini size
    lawns. Now I have my sprayer mounted on a 4x8 tra-
    iler.It costs less to insure the truck when it is
    not permanantly installed. I can now use this truck
    as a utility/mowing/plowing truck without that big
    unit always in it.I store it in a garage and it stays
    clean and rustfree.I have an electric pump.I ran an18
    guage wire from the battery to the back of the truck
    and used a common electrical plug.Female on the truck
    and male on the trailer.Just plug it in and GO.:D

5. I have a Lesco 200 gal skid with a Honda and Hypro D30 pump w/600' synflex hose
    I also have a 525 gal mounted on a trailer (rest the same) I made this one

I pull it with a 3/4 ton Dodge and handles it well

there are time that I use all 725 gal in one day or I can mix one thing in one and something else in the other

6. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I have the Lesco 200 gal with the Hannay reel and Honda motor, great unit. Allows for many options, I like doing deep root fertilizing great $$$$.

7. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

The Lesco skid mount is a good piece of equipment. I bought the 100 gallon unit (big mistake), I spray that out in no time at all. Go with a 200 gal. unit if you have the truck to handle it, and buy an injector gun to do the deep root ferts that Kirby is referring to. It also works great for fire ant mounds.
    Bill Craig

8. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the input guys!

9. Brians77777

Brians77777 LawnSite Member

Any other recommendations?
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. outdoordesignsknox

outdoordesignsknox LawnSite Member

I'm partial to all things GNC - especially their pumps.
    Posted via Mobile Device