Skid mounted brush cutters. Who has one?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by TXTom, Sep 30, 2007.

1. TXTom

TXTom LawnSite Member

Who has a hydraulic brush cutter for their skid? I am talking about the ones that are basically a tractor style shredder that runs from the front. I had a Bradco 60" brushcutter, but I sold it. I want to buy one again, but I am looking for one that addresses some of the deficiencies of the Bradco. I would like one that has some kind of roller or flotation system. The Bradco model operated in a fixed position and was constantly lifting and diving as the skid rolled over uneven terrain. My machine does not have hi-flow. I will be clearing along existing ranch roads. There is cactus, yucca, mesquite, cedar, and tall grass. Most of the trees are saplings with trunks less than 2"s. A cutter with 4" capacity will be plenty. I will occasionally mow some grass pasture. I would like a cut equivalent to a tractor shredder. I would like to spend less than $5k closer to $4k.

Thanks,
    Tom

2. perkhound

perkhound LawnSite Member

Bauma has a low flow cutter for around $9000.00 I have just bought one myself.

3. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

Tom, if you are in Austin, call Quality Equipment (Bobcat) and look at the brushcats. I have run 2 brushcats since they came out around '99. they are easy to service, tough body, flotation link, steel roller at the rear and some have two small steer rollers under the front to help it glide over the ground. Brushcat will produce one of the finest cuts you have ever seen with a rotary bush hog style mower.

4. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

Brushcat I used was built solid as granite but... can't pick it up off the ground! Every time you want to turn, it goes like this: stop, turn off aux hydraulics, lift cutter, turn, set down cutter, turn on hydraulics, wait for it to spin up, go... is there an easy way to disable the "safety" (aka PITA) switch?

5. Kepple Services

Kepple Services LawnSite Senior Member

The quick attach unit has everything you are looking for. It has about 6" of floatation in it so it will not dig into the ground AS MUCH, still does but not nearly as bad. I have the 72" model, and its nice, I cut 2-3" material regularly, as well as fields/lots. Call them directly and talk to Lane notzelman, they will ship ot directly to you from the factory. I dont have the number in front of me at the moment. You can also dissconnect the saftey(not that it is recommended at ALL) so you can lift it off the ground for turns, and also when ohhhhh mowing really tall grasses and making two passes, one at about 12-14" above the ground and then one at ground level.

6. YellowDogSVC

from TX

I rarely have to pick up the brushcat in fields but when I am mowing around trees and rough terrain, it is just part of the gig and it's second nature.
    Yes, you can bypass at least the older kill switches. I did that but didn't like "seeing" my blades spinning so I reconnected it. It's just a matter of running the hoses past "the box" and into the hydraulic motor. At least that's how i did it on the older model. Haven't tried on the one from a few years ago and know nothing about the very new models.

7. YellowDogSVC

from TX

I rarely have to pick up the brushcat in fields but when I am mowing around trees and rough terrain, it is just part of the gig and it's second nature.
    Yes, you can bypass at least the older kill switches. I did that but didn't like "seeing" my blades spinning so I reconnected it. It's just a matter of running the hoses past "the box" and into the hydraulic motor. At least that's how i did it on the older model. Haven't tried on the one from a few years ago and know nothing about the very new models.

8. perkhound

perkhound LawnSite Member

Look at this web page http://www.mtbmfg.ca/

9. TXTom

TXTom LawnSite Member

Great response....

Thanks for the suggestions. I was looking at the Quick Attach/Erksine model. It seems to have everything I need and weighs 500lbs less than the Brushcat. I would think that a front caster wheel would eliminate the need for lifting during turns. Otherwise, I am sure it is just a "technique" that needs to be mastered. Can anyone attest to the durability of the Quick Attach products? Yellowdog- are using Brushcats for your Hill Country land service? What year did the most recent Brushcat models start being produced?

Thanks,
    Tom

10. YellowDogSVC

from TX

not sure on the recent models. I am guessing 2006.

I use the brushcat in rocky terrain.