Skid Sprayer or Z-Spray

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grassyfras, Jun 22, 2011.

1. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Next year I am planning on having 100 spray accounts at about 5 apps per year. I am wondering what is the better way to go a skid or z-spray. My target demographic is homes on a quater acre or less so I am leaning towards the skid sprayer. One advantage may be the cheaper chemical and fertilizer prices using the skid sprayer. Do you guys find this to be true? I would think the time on each lawn would be close considering the small turf area per account???

2. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

IMHO if you are targeting smaller lot sizes like 1/4 acre or less you are looking at 5,000 sq ft of turf on average?

I have my z spray parked right now and been using a skid for the past week to do my small accounts like you are targeting. I feel it is much faster and easier to do with the skid on these size lawns.

3. vencops

vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

How can the skid save you money of chemicals and ferts?

What are mixing/spraying....that would allow you to treat multiple accounts with the exact same mix? I'm not questioning you. I'm asking for my education.

Thanks.

4. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I think the bigger question is do you want to have an all liquid program? Are you going to use a push spreader for granular? I love my z-spray, but there are a few properties that are just easier to use a push spreader on.

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Vencop

That is the type question you should ask your training CPO who you apprenticed under.

6. vencops

vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

The last guy I "thought" knew his ****......stole my bird feeder.

7. Efficiency

Efficiency LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 6

Ven, anyone who is "planning" on anything that is approximate is someone you likely dont want to hold as gospel.

8. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't think I would have an all liquid program. I would use granulars for fert and the the skid for pre-m, blanket and spot spraying, and for putting down a liquid dylox or merit.

Maybe mix fert with one or two applications a year out of the 5.

9. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

For all small properties i would use a skid it would be quicker.

Every lawn is different but small lawns with lots of obstacles takes longer with a rideon.

If it were me i would do a all liquid program in the spring mix every thing together and only go over the lawn once.

Charles Cue

10. lawnlandscape

lawnlandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Make sure you get a gravity feed on it, so when you do end up getting your z spray in the future, you can use your tank to fill your z spray for the larger lawns.