Skid Sprayer

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by erhager, Apr 17, 2006.

1. erhager

erhager LawnSite Member

Do any of you guys use 12 volt pumps for spraying herbicides? Seems to me you would have to have a gas powered pump to be able to spray in customers backyards and so forth.

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I use to have a 12v pump sprayer with 300 ft of 1/2 in hose and it worked great!

3. erhager

erhager LawnSite Member

So you can get say a 150 gal tank and add a longer hose to it since most 12 volt pumps come with a 25 foot or so hose?

4. Chris@CRU

Chris@CRU LawnSite Member

you can use longer hose than what has come with the rig. Electric 12 volt pumps will not give you high pressure, but, with herbicides you do not want high pressure.

5. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

you can add hose pretty much any length you're willing to drag. As mentioned above, it just becomes a pressure issue. The one thing I should mention is that the flow on most electrics (notice that I said most) is not sufficient to run a bypass for tank agitation, which should be a very large concern on any tank over 50 gallons. Keep that in mind as you set up.

6. erhager

erhager LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input. I plan on taking my tests this summer and only want a little setup for now because I only plan on spraying a few yards or so in the near future. Any good links to some setups for sale on the internet?

7. indyturf

from Indy

I used a 300 ft 1/2 in hose and chemlawn gun with the yellow nozzle and had no problem with pressure.

8. New Green

New Green LawnSite Member

Indy and Utah,
    What are you using for 12 V pumps??

9. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

We use gas powered pumps.But at one time we picked up 4 or 5 systems,from a company bought out, and absorbed by chemlawn.We had an insider who let us know, they were going to just discard the spray systems, Picked them up for absolutely nothing.They utilized a wand spay gun, and used a 12 volt pump,150 gallon tanks,300 feet of hose, and fitted well in vans.They were pretty good systems for average city of Chicago lawns.

10. indyturf

from Indy

I used the sureflow and just wired it to the battery in my truck, always worked great and the pumps seemed to last forever.