skid sprayers

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by toadie, Jan 26, 2004.

1. toadie

toadie LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I'm still a year away from getting licensed but I'm starting to plan now. I plan on having two skid mount sprayers between 25 and 50 gallon in a truck bed, one for lawn and one for shrub. Can anyone recommend a nice sprayer. I need to spray at a rate between 3 and 5 GPM. I've seen them range from $2500 to $400. The latter being just a 12v pump (do these work well)? I would like to stay under $2000 for the pair. Thanks for any advice.

2. greenerpastures

greenerpastures LawnSite Member

You will probably find everything being used here in the postings. Fairly common is a diaphragm type pump such as hypro D30 that is capable of 9GPM and higher pressures. Its fairly rugged and adaptable to most chemicals. 12v pumps are cheap, but usually not too durable. Centrifugals are ok if you don't need 60+ psi. If you intend to cover very much area in a day, you better increase your tank sizes. good luck.

3. toadie

toadie LawnSite Member
    from Florida

My program will be strictly granular. I will be dealing with St. Augustine lawns only. Four fertilizer apps per year and spot treat once a month for pests. The sprayers will be used like a drop tank. Out of the lawn tank I will spray such things as Talstar, Prostar, Ferrous Sulfate, Tech, Urea and/or a blanket weed control (Atrazine, Manage) as needed for my lawns and pesticides and fungicides from the shrub tank. So basically the lawn tank will only be used for problems with chinchbugs,sodwebworms, brown patch fungus, color and other major pest problems. I'll have a 150 to 200 Gallon tank for the water either on the truck or trailer with a pump into each drop tank (skid sprayer). This is the plan as of now, but like I said I have a year or so to plan and this could change. Any advice or criticism about this set up are welcomed. Thank you.

4. Mac V2.0

Mac V2.0 LawnSite Member
    from Mid OH

Why the expense of a skid sprayer if you are only gona spot spray with it? Wouldnt a backpack sprayer do the same at a much lower cost?

5. toadie

toadie LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I would love to start with just a spreader and a backpack. Man I could start turning a profit quick with that set up. But theres I few problems:

1) Chinchbugs: Major problem down here. I know of one company that has stopped using Talstar in one of their areas because of to many retreats and is now using Demon. I wouldn't trust spot treating these pests with just a backpack at that low volume rate.

2)Sod Webworns: Another problem during the Summer and Fall. Easy to kill but I wouldn't spot treat these guys. A blanket spray is a must.

3) I also want the option of being able to put down some cheap liquid Iron for a nice green-up if needed.

Although I wouldn't mine treating shrubs out of a backpack. Does anybody know if this is possible. Probably just be spraying Oil, Merit and a fungicide and would stay away from trees. This way I could get started with just one skid.

Another option is looking into a spray truck. I've seen GNC has some and also found some nice ones at http://www.reallyinnovations.com/lawn.html
    Does anybody have any idea how much these trucks go for? Or a good place in Florida or Georgia to get one costum built.
    Thanks again for any help. This forum is awesome!

6. Mac V2.0

Mac V2.0 LawnSite Member
    from Mid OH

My bad, that comment threw me. If you are going to blanket spray at that high a rate (3-5g/m), arent you gona need a much larger tank?

7. Heartlandturf

Heartlandturf LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

At the risk of being repetitive, at 3 gals 1000, with a 50 gals tank that will only net you about 16,000 sq ft. That's about one yard in Ohio and 15minutes work.
    Your going to need mim. 300 gals and still thats only 100,000 sq ft. That's a good haft-a-day :)

8. Heartlandturf

Heartlandturf LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

There are some companys out there building some very nice electric units that can easily handle the kind of volume you are talking about and they are well worth the investment.

9. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

10. lawnguy26

lawnguy26 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

This is Toadie, just got a new computer so I changed my username. I stated earlier:
    Right now I'm trying to get a quote on a spray rig. There's a place here in Florida that will costume build one on a F-350 Chassis. I'm just waiting on a price from the guy.