skid steer buckets

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Fieldman12, Nov 23, 2006.

1. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

What type of bucket do most of you prefer for things like putting driveways in and digging? I wanted a low profile bucket so I could see the edge of the bucket, but I know once you get use to the machine you can feel when the bucket touches the ground and you know where your at.

2. Timberman

Timberman LawnSite Member
    from MD

I use a low profile bucket on my bobcat S150, it works fine for grading and doing gravel driveways. If you fill it to heaping with wet dirt or gravel it will tip the machine, so a bigger bucket wouldn't help much anyway.

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

We have a combo bucket. Won't have it any other way. There's times I wish I had a GP bucket with teeth on it for general excavating, but a combo bucket with a smooth lip is invaluable.

4. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I used a high back bucket to grade with for years. I was able to cut accurate grade by feel. I purchased a 70XT with a low profile extended lip bucket and grading was much easier. The problem with the high back bucket is it takes a lot of time to get good at grading with them, a luxury that you don't get with employees. I liked the bucket for hauling off concrete and moving large amounts of material. I have come to appreciate the low profile extended lip buckets and have been ordering them with the machines. The only real down side is getting material over the top of the bucket and into the hyd rams and pins. We tear out a lot of concrete with an excavator and a skid steer. Dropping concrete into the shorter backed buckets requires more care than with the high back buckets.

5. SinjonAssociates

SinjonAssociates LawnSite Member

If it were my decision I would go with a Low Profile bucket. You may get used to other types of buckets but if you are trying to fine grade and do delicate work around a house or an object that you don't want to damage, the ability to see the leading edge of the bucket is invaluable.
    George

6. janb

janb LawnSite Senior Member

I use a combo (4 in 1) with a Rezloh edge, (~$800) best of both worlds (digging + smooth edge for grading)

It is low prof, and EZ to see the cutting edge, slight less capacity w/ 4:1, since they beef the bottom with a 'hump' :rolleyes: (they didn't have to do that on my Case trackloader w/ 4:1... made with hurky:weightlifter: materials) But ALL the SS combo's I've seen are built with a 'hump' (can be inconvienent if working with real fine / or loose materials (less than a bucket load), but if you need a third hand, the combo is great. (moving trees, placing rocks, and pulling fence posts)

7. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

I've gotta say, if you guys have not tried the Rezloh blade on your buckets, it is absouletly magic. I had one made for my Kubota tractor a couple years back and the increase in quality and production has been well worth the money for the blade. It is one of the best additions to my equipment I have made. I would never have a skid, tractor, or bucket without a rezloh blade again.

8. bobbyg18

bobbyg18 LawnSite Member

I use a GP bucket with a flip up tooth bar...it takes a few minutes to loosen the bolts on the side of the bucket and then it can be flipped up to use the smooth edge...

so far it has worked great except it does loosen up from time to time, but i must have teeth

[​IMG]

9. SinjonAssociates

SinjonAssociates LawnSite Member

?? I believe that is a LP bucket--not a GP.
    George

10. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

RockSet N' Grade- I've been thinking of buying a Rezloh bar for my CTL after the current cutting edge wears down. If used mostly in dirt, clay, and sometimes stone, how many hours do you think I could get out of one before it needed to be replaced? Also, since it has the flat bottom, will it clean dirt off the street similar to a regular bolt-on cutting edge?

Thanks!:drinkup: