skid steer business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bobbyg18, Jul 7, 2006.

1. bobbyg18

bobbyg18 LawnSite Member

anyone out there a one man skid steer operation only?..can this be done?

i want one piece of equipment for a one man part time operation...my target will be small day jobs...i am a firefighter looking to start a part time biz...i've looked at other equipment and i have decided that a skid steer is the way to go because of its versatility, especially for snow plowing and removal...in addition i will be targeting landscapers, and contracters

im looking at the bobcat s185 or s220...i've talked to a few dealers and the bobcat dealer is helping me out a lot more than the others (and they are the closest)...

2. Birdhunter1

Birdhunter1 LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking for a skidsteer too in about the same class as you are (S185-S220 or 743-773). I think a guy could stay fairly busy with a skidsteer doing small jobs for people here and tehre but like any business you've got to stick to a price and not be doing freebies for friends all the time.

I think with a skidsteer and a 7x14 dump trailer and you could stay very busy.

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Yes you can make some cash but a new skid steer is some serious money. Those friggin things cost more than a pickup.

4. bobbyg18

bobbyg18 LawnSite Member

bobcat of boston quoted me 34K for the S220...then he mentioned he believes they might go as low as 30K for the S220 but he does not have the approval yet...

he said he will drop it off tues for me to demo...

any idea what type of hourly rates are out there?...from my research it seems to be a very wide range of rates, anywhere like 50-80 per hour???...

5. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

The best way to figure hourly rates for your area is through equipment rental agencies.
    Call and find out how much a similar machine costs per day/week/hour and these rates usually start at a minimum of three hours time out the door, not time on the hour meter.
    Figure in your actual business/money per hour you want to be paid costs in addition to the rental rate and you should get pretty close.
    As a point for you to consider, especially since you are going to finance this gig, get a power box rake included with your deal.
    Tons more versitility to landscapers, builders, even municipalities.
    Do a search on the web for glenmac power box rakes - you'll see what I am referring too.

6. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

It seems like everybody and his brother has ads in newspapers and bulletin board walls in stores advertising skid-steer work. I would advertise first to see how much business you can get and just rent it for awhile to make sure you do get plenty of work to justify buying one.

That will be one big expensive boat anchor with big payments if you can't get much work.

7. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Don't know on Bocat only business but there is a guy here that only Ditch Witches and makes money doing that. I think the attachments fo rdiffereing jobs may really set you back though, start out with doing rentals maybe?

8. Birdhunter1

The main reason I am looking to get one is because the property I am buying has to have a road put in to it and while I already have a tractor (minus a front end loader) out there I will also be building a house and a bobcat would suit my needs better right now. With a bobcat I could still do side jobs with it and later sell it, but I may just try to find a tractor that I won't want to sell.

9. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

I'd still say lease because you get he machine for the time you need it and if the business doesn't pan out they way you thought it might you aren't stuck having to liquidate in a hurry (where a lot of guys lose their investment). If it is profitable you can easily add another machine through a purchase and discontinue the lease of the other. jmy.02

10. Birdhunter1

I'm looking at used machines because of the cost. I actually have thought the lease route, but since it will get more personal use than business use my main option right now is a buddy of mine who farms has some work he'd like one for as well so we are thinking of splitting the cost on the machine. Yeah I know what kind of headaches that could lead too, and I know there are only two people I'd do something like that with which are this guy and my dad.

Another thing about this is I have a good enough job that I could sell the stuff off, wash my hands of it and move on without going completely broke.