Skid Steer chains??

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by SinjonAssociates, Dec 23, 2006.

1. SinjonAssociates

SinjonAssociates LawnSite Member

Has anyone had any experience with chains made for skid steers? Ladder vs H pattern? We just had a 30" snowstorm with a wet base which made grip for my NH 185.b nearly impossible. Would like some input, I don't need them all that often and tracks would be overkill (IMHO).
    George

2. beyondupnorth

beyondupnorth LawnSite Member

Your refering to tire chains? Any type will increase you traction on snow and ice 300%
    I run a set on my 773 on the back because my driveway slopes off on the sides down to the ditches. When plowing snow the tires on the low side of the loader would just spin and I'd keep slipping off the side of the drive. With chains on just the back I can make a turn with a full 9' blade of snow with no problem.
    Ken

3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

4. SinjonAssociates

Beyondupnorth, What type of tire chains do you use and what type of surface do you plow(asphalt,concrete or dirt) I need to be careful about tearing up the surfaces that I plow.
    George

5. beyondupnorth

Mine are simular to these
    http://www.wallingfords.com/aquiline/claw_chains.html
    They offer much better traction with out being to rough on my shop floor (concrete) I think if you are carful about spinning on the asphalt (you won't want to spin for the sake of your chains either), you will find that damage is not a concern (asphalt is pretty tough when frozen) Any skidsteer is relatively light. I work on gravel, and generally let a layer of snow pack down to protect my plow anyway.
    I'd recomend stay away from "ice pick" or "V bar" chains like these
    http://www.wallingfords.com/aquiline/talon_chains.html
    if your worried about damage.
    Traction would be better still, but they are quite sharp.
    I'm not sure if they make diamond or double diamond patterns in skidloader tire sizes, but any chain with a chain running down the face of the tire as opposed to across would likely ride smoother
    Ken

6. SinjonAssociates

7. beyondupnorth

That pattern looks like a good choice, anything to break the glaze will help tremendously.
    The other thing I have considered is replacing my rims with 15" or 16" pickup rim and run a good snow tire pattern for you snow removal work. As you may know tall and narrow kicks butt in snow.
    Rims are availalble in the 8 lug on 8" circle (not sure if thats you but is the most common skid loader pattern) from www.surpluscenter.com for $20 a wheel. in either diameter.
    You whould have to enquire about thier back spacing and weight capacity.
    I was wanting them just to go taller then my 10.000 by 16.5 tire for increased ground speed for plowing.