Skid Steer -FW loader - Tractor??

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by mulchingman, Jan 29, 2013.

1. mulchingman

mulchingman LawnSite Member

I am looking to open up a mulch yard to sell bulk mulch and soil. What equipment is best for a mulch yard to load materials in pick up beds, landscape trucks, and a few dump trucks? Operating weight capability, tipping point, maneuverability, and price are all considerations. Skid Steer, Front Wheel loaders, or tractors? What does everyone see when they are picking up mulch? Thanks!

2. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Everyone by me uses payloaders. As big as you can afford. Most have a smaller one too. They lift higher than skids. Only the clowns use skid steers since it takes 20 scoops to load 10 yds and nobody got time for that!
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. CowboysLawnCareDelaware

CowboysLawnCareDelaware LawnSite Senior Member
    from DE

My supplier has a Kubota articulated machine with a 1 yard bucket. That way they can make the tight turns between the holding area and the trailers/trucks being loaded.

-Michael

4. mulchingman

mulchingman LawnSite Member

They have 1 yard buckets for Skid Steers. I like the fact that the skid steer can also be used for landscaping purposes.. but like you said the arm length is not as high which scares me. Don't know how well they can load dump trucks.

5. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

If mulching is a venture you want to explore i doubt you will be pulling the main loading machine off site to do some landscaping. I'm aware they make 1 yd buckets but thats still 10 scoops. What about loading a 20 or 30 yd truck? Most i see have a 5 yd payloader and a 2 yd
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. AEL

AEL LawnSite Bronze Member

Loader can't be beat for this type of work. Smaller mulch suppliers around here run cat 906 models or Deere 244. Larger ones are running cat 928-938 and Deere 444-544.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. dstifel

dstifel LawnSite Senior Member

around here they all use LULL lifts. Work awesome for everything highly would recommend it.

8. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

My supplier has three loaders, a L20 with a 1.25 yard bucket, a L60 with a 5 yard bucket and I think a L110 with a 10yard high dump bucket. They also have a komatsu SS with a 3/4 yard bucket.

9. HPI_Savage25

HPI_Savage25 LawnSite Member

My local supplier has a 1 yard bucket. They also sell by the 13yd roll off container that they deliver themselves.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. jones68

jones68 LawnSite Senior Member

Ive seen a few telehandlers but most of the time i see small articulating loaders. Most places have them where they can make a quick bucket change so they can change sizes and switch to forks for pallets. good luck