Skid Steer hopper

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Dirtman2007, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

Looking for some info on where to buy or rent a hopper like Ron uses on his skid steer.
    Just bidded on a job and it has 1400 tons of class 1 rip rap ( up to 22" in diameter) and it all has to be hauled using a skid steer due to limited access. Will one of these units even with stand that being dumped into it?

2. curtisfarmer

curtisfarmer LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe for about 1 day with that size rock:laugh::laugh::laugh:

3. backhoe

backhoe LawnSite Member

probably had better buy it if you're planning on hauling that big of rock.

4. Dirtman2007

Thats what I was thinking but dang I'm not looking forward to moving that one ton at the time with the takkie 150. Might have to find me a skid steer operator for that month lol

5. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Chris give Jr a shot, I'm sure he'd be willing :laugh:

6. curtisfarmer

curtisfarmer LawnSite Senior Member

If you bought an affordable 1 and reinforced it with plate inside the hopper, it may hold up. The cost may be cheaper than running it up 1 bucket at a time. Is it the vehicle size restriction? How about a small Marooka or other offroad haul truck? My other thought would be a high capacity bucket which would would have to be loaded with another machine to gain full capacity. Looks like some # crunching since there are some serious trips involved.

7. Barge Man

Barge Man LawnSite Senior Member

Chris what about renting one of those small JCB haul truck's?

8. Dirtman2007

how about a barge? its the dang job you sent me the link on!

hook a brother up lol

For everyone else I forgot to say this is for fixing eroded shoreline on a lake

9. Barge Man

Barge Man LawnSite Senior Member

Tell me how to get there already got it on the trailer :laugh:

truck barge.jpg

10. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

Most all of the trailers hauling rock that size have are lined with boards to take the impact. You almost need a hopper made out of hardox plate material. Maybe finding a bigger bucket and welding on a coupler plate would be a better option?