1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Skid Steer Hours

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by eshreve1234, Mar 11, 2008.

1. eshreve1234

eshreve1234 LawnSite Member

Looking into getting my first skid. Most of the machines in my price range have 1500-2000 hours. How many hours is average for a skid to last?

I understand there are some variable, but any ball park info would be great.
  2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

we had a small gehle with over 5000 hours on it. but parts availably started becoming a problem so we got rid of it...

gotta really check all your hoses, since they begin to show signs of wear/dry rot. I'd also look over all the hydraulic fittings. the engines won't be the problems its all the other associated components...

if I was goingto buy a used skid, I'd want to see the thing on a lift will all the covers removed so I could really look around from all angles
  3. Kepple Services

Kepple Services LawnSite Senior Member

1500 should not be in that bad of shape... I have 1100 hours on my T300 and it is still going strong. What is your price range? I have a 2005 T300 loaded with gold package for sale including the bucket and grapple and about 750 hours on it( another machine I have).
  4. cat2

cat2 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mi

yeah thats not that many hours
  5. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 LawnSite Senior Member

It all depends on what the machine was used for. If it was only used to lift stuff like hay bales or pallets of stuff of trucks I have seen some go as high a 9,000 Hrs and still look good and run very tight. Now if it was a dirt mover it could be junk at 2,000Hrs depending on who ran it and how they ran it and if they ever greased or changed the oil and filters. A dust air filter can really hurt the engine after awhile and many will run them with a clogged air filter for a long time. Check it over crawl under it and pull the dipstick. That can tell you allot very quick.