Skid Steer input

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by NEUSWEDE, Jan 16, 2007.

1. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I am in the market for a skid steer, have done some research and from prior use know what I want but looking for input from others.
    I am going to use it for landscape installs, hardscaping, sweeping parking lots and plowing with 10' pusher box and loading snow and salt into trucks.

I know I want high flow and I think the 2 speed would be great for the plowing and hp in the 70-80hp range. I like the bobcat a300 but the extra moving parts and the price tag has me thinking twice. Also interested in the JD 325 but have mixed reviews on the reliability.

Just looking for opinions.

2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

My bigger machine is a CAT 262, cab heat a/c. I really like the machine it's got balls and will lift mafia blocks without flinching. Though I really like the machine I will most likely sell it this season to replace it with a 287 tracked machine. :)

3. NEUSWEDE

from Maine

I thought abot tracked, I like the ASV's but don't think it would be great in the snow and tears up lawns, so will wheels but not as much.

If you don't mind me asking what does that 262 run new? I think I have ran one before and thought the back was large and hard t see out the side and back.

4. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

New or Used?

New:
    CASE 465

CASE 440

USED
    CASE 95XT-I just traded in an 03 with 1500 hours cab/heat/ride control/high flow. They gave me 29K. Great machine but shipping would be a killer.

CASE 90XT

All of these machines have two speed and ride control available. They are all 85 plus hp. They are all big machines except the 440. The 90 and 440 are radial lift. The high flow on these machines is very impressive. A builder that I work for just got his high flow 440 and an Erskine high flow blower. I used to have the same blower on a high flow 1840. The 440 was taking on drifts that were higher than the the machine. The machine never even slowed down. The only way to tell if you were going too fast was by the snow coming out of the spout. It would throw snow 50' . Very powerful.

5. NEUSWEDE

from Maine

I am leaning towards used but used gets me worried about reliability so I am looking at both sides.

6. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

CASE is running a 3 year 4 thousand hour extended powertrain warranty (zero deductible) along with low intrest rates until March. I bought two machines under this program. Great deal.

It is a good time of the year to buy. I think about everyone (OEM ) is running some kind of deal.

7. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

Have you looked at New Holland??....The LS190 is what i use in some of the lots i do with a 10' pusher...and that skid steer may work for you..

8. JDSKIDSTEER

JDSKIDSTEER LawnSite Bronze Member

No reliability issues on 325's. 260's were my faverite 200 series. Had few problems with them. 240's, 250's and 270's had electrical and hydraualic issues early on. To be honest with you every 5th machine I had to work the bugs out in early series 200's. 325's have generaly been bullet proof. No experience with ASV, but I always have heard their undercarraige handled best and was designed for snow. Good luck on deciding.

9. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

The 262 I believe was about $42 and change. The tracked machine will actually do less damage to a lawn than a wheeled machine since it has very low ground pressure. This time of year my wheeled machine is pretty much useless since the ground is soo soft. I have also had guys tell me they would rather a tracked machine in snow too, unless you have very icy conditions. :)

10. SinjonAssociates

SinjonAssociates LawnSite Member

I use a 05 New Holland 185.B Hi-Flo . It has plenty of HP and with a set of Pewag chains on the rear I can push an amazing amount of snow. The 190.B doesn't gain you that much more HP and with the 185 I can use a bucket as small as 72" for tighter spaces. As many have said on this forum NH has a very simple design that seems to be bullitproof. Worth checking out.
    George