Skid Steer Loaders

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by General Grounds, May 30, 2001.

1. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys, I recently purchased a CAT 226 skid loader, through much debate w/ friends about who makes the best skid i demoed and love the CAT. Many of my friends have different make skids and one feels his is better the the other, my question to you is if you own a skid what type, ans how do you like it? your input would be great. P.S,The Cat skid is great, saves me hours of time on jobs. Also, what attachments do you find most useful?

2. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

It seems every one here has their favorite loaders, we use New Holland, have 4 of them, some are so old but they keep plugging away
    one has over 6000 hrs and another one has over 6300 hrs
    2 New Holland 555 loader
    1 783 New Holland
    1 LS190 New Holland
  3. EarthTech Landscapes

EarthTech Landscapes LawnSite Member

I have two 700 series bobcats, they have held up great. Attachments include, landscape rake, scarfier, and tracks. My uncle has the Cat 226 model which he bought last year and he seems to like it. Everyone has there own perferences.
  4. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

General -

Since you already bought your loader, I'd say to not look at the answers here. They'll only make you second-guess yourself.

We have a Gehl 6635 SXT, and it's been a great workhorse for us for 3 years so far. We may buy another this year.
  5. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: guys thanks for the input so far, no second quessing here i was just curious to what other guys have and how they like them. the machines are basically the same, its all a matter of preference, i like the CAT, b/c i really liked the fasct that there were no foot controls, and they made the cab very comfortable, esp. w/ heat and air :).
  6. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

General - that's why I bought the Gehl. Did you know that now you can get just about any make skid loader with controls however you like - pedals and hands, hands only, whatever. I know New Holland has that option, Gehl does, I think Case does, Bobcat does.
  7. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Bobcats...743(garden center use only),843,853,863..various buckets..tree boom..Kubota with hoe attachmnet...couple of old tractors that are older than god but still work great.
  8. jonspolaris

jonspolaris LawnSite Member

is there any advantage to the "power boom" arm that New holland and JD use?? i know thoes are the only two companies that use the 2 lifting arms. is this better than just the single arm like the other companyes use??

9. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Most companies make a heavy lift/long reach arm design, Bobcat 773/873, Case Xt75.85 and 95. Advantages: Longer reach, heavier lifting, longer wheel base. Disadvanatages not as good at digging in tough ground, longer machine.