1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

skid steer/mini steer???

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by cct landscaping, Feb 7, 2012.

1. tread lightly services

tread lightly services LawnSite Member

ha!! just saw toro re-introduced the diesel wheeled dingo. 320-D

agreed walking sucks!!! i chose a wheeled dingo 323

Cooling System Air cooled
    Engine 23 HP (17.2 kw) Kohler® Command PRO™
    Ground Clearance 5" (13cm) front & rear
    Ground Speed 0-3mph (0 - 4.8 kph) forward/ reverse
    Height 48.7" (123.7cm)
    High Flow Pump 10.8 gpm (40.9 lpm)
    Hinge Pin Height 66" (167.6cm) std. bucket
    Hydraulic Reservoir Cap. 14.8 gallons (56 L)
    Hydraulic System Pressure 3000 psi (206.7 bar)
    Length 62" (157.5cm); 82.8" (210.3 cm) w/ bucket
    Loader Hydraulic System 2 control levers- push/pull
    Low Flow Pump 4 gpm (15.1 lpm)
    Operating Capacity 515 lb. (233.6 kg) w/ 200 lb (90.7 kg) operator
    Steering Controls Zero turn type w/ 2 controls
    Tip Capacity 1030lb. (467.2 kg) w/ 200lb (90.7 kg) operator
    Warranty Product - One Year* / Engine - Two Year*
    Width 40.5" (109.9cm) std tires
  2. cct landscaping

cct landscaping LawnSite Member

thoughts on wheeled or track....what kind of damage could I expect from a wheeled unit??? over the tracks??
  3. Impact-Vector

Impact-Vector LawnSite Member

Wheels equal less surface area. Usually you will tear up lawn with wheels but I personally believe that wheels are cheaper to change tires than tracks are. Tracks need idlers etc.

You can't win them all. Personally wheels pLus plywood for protection is my plan of action
  4. cct landscaping

nice, i can see the plywood helping out a lot, so you carry around a few sheets to a job, 20min. to set up.... probably save a lot repair work.

Any advice on an 06 Vermeer s600 wheeled mini 300hrs - $9000.00

good price??

5. bearmtnmartin

bearmtnmartin LawnSite Senior Member

you can't dig into a pile or bulldoze with wheels unless its dry as a lizard fart.
  6. Impact-Vector

Impact-Vector LawnSite Member

I cut some hand holes in mine and it made it easier to handle. Then I would throw them on the trailer and offset them so I could drive up on them! Makes no tie downs easy! Just the machine then!

That hour count is a bit high. What motor is it?
    Before I buy anything I like to pull 1 pin ( usually the hard one to get to) and see if it's been greased. Or just try pump grease in. If it doesn't go in easily odds are it wasn't maintained and I would walk.

The price seems high for just a bucket and forks. $8000 is more what I would expect given the hours. $8500 wouldn't be terrible
  7. muddywater

muddywater LawnSite Bronze Member

I will not go back to wheels. Aftermarket tracks are cheap! And bogey wheels last 1000 plus hours.

Plywood has got to eat some man hours.
  8. cct landscaping

..well I've got my sights on an MT52, just kinda waiting for a god deal to come around.....0% if you buy new, but that's 21,500.00 ouch!

I'll continue my search..
  9. cct landscaping

..if anyone finds a good deal on a mini, please chime in

I wouldn't rule out a small skid steer, if the price is right.

I'm located in Ontario, Canada

10. tread lightly services

tread lightly services LawnSite Member

walk away from the mt52 bobcat had many problems. with the mt line....it was a mt50 then a mt52 then the mt55...see a patteren here??? super heavy machine, and agressive tracks....also the ride on platform has a stupid caster wheel at the back. what do you think that caster does when you backup??? exactly, it digs in and causes ruts. bad design. basically bobcatneeds to go back to the drawing board and copy 90% of the toro dingo tx525 series, with the ride on platform, and lifting height of the vermeer.

p.s. also bobcat needs to pull thier head outta thier as* and use the same mini skid loader attachment plate as the rest of the mini skid loader community.