1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Skid Steer Mount Vibratory Roller

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by GreenMonster, Jan 20, 2007.

1. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Anybody have experienced with a skid mount vibratory roller? I came across a used Altec, 48" wide, 9" offset, a few years old. I can't find the specs on it, but the Bobcat model has about 6500lbs of force with 15gpm hydraulic flow.

When thinking about a larger compactor for large areas, I'm wondering if this might be a good option. Thoughts?
  2. GreenMonster

from NH

this is what I'm describing

3. murray83

murray83 LawnSite Senior Member

Its good for 4' of compaction I believe so I think it should work fine.
  4. GreenMonster

from NH

Yeah, I know it has the specs to compact to the density required, I'm just wondering if a) tying up the skid in order to compact might be counterproductive, as the machine is not longer available to work on other areas of base b) if it's a little to cumbersome size-wise.
  5. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Mark - I think you just answered your own question. I think that unless you have 2 machines you would be spending most of your time hauling and switching that beast out. JMO.

6. GreenMonster

from NH

Yeah, I guess I just needed someone to tell me that :hammerhead:

I wish it fit on a mini... now that would be the berries!
  7. vntgrcr

vntgrcr LawnSite Senior Member

This fall I found a Wacker 24" vibratory roller that I picked up for $500. This thing is a beast. Single cylinder diesel, hand crank start, long arm off back for steering. I have been using a plate compactor for my walks etc, but now this is the way to go. It weighs about 1700lbs and packs the #$%& out of the base. If you can find one of these, or similar try that. I would worry about turning corners, tight spots etc with the large roller. If you did a lot of driveways, that would be the way to go.

8. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

My local equipment dealer has one of those big twin walk behind rollers forsale. I think he was trying to sell it to me for 3k. You got a smoking deal at 500!!!

The skid steer roller would only be good for driveways. But on a driveway, it would not be as efficent as a dedicated vibatory roller.

9. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Not to be arrogant, but this thread scares me.

And respectfully - heres why:

1. For large areas, such as driveways, compaction is CRITICAL. I have seen driveway companies compacting with dinky ride on rollers - which if they ever performed a compaction test - they would flunk the test.

For piece of mind as well as cheap insurance - the best thing to do is utilize a REAL ride on roller, tandem drum, yadda yadda yadda. This isnt a high profit industry. I, personally do not have the funds to return to re-do someone's driveway - therefore I spare no expense in assuring the base is 100%.

2. If you're utilizing base compaction via a plate tamper or skid steer mount roller, for a base that is to be of vehicular use - you really need to have compaction tests performed. Sure, a plate tamper will suffice (provided the lifts are not too thick, etc), but it'll take 3x's as long!!!

3. Keep in mind the skid steer industry has EVERYTHING under the sun for your skid steer! This skid steer roller would have to get a lotta use to pay for itself, and to be worth the hassel of trucking it around. In other words you'd have to do driveway after driveway after driveway. Personally, it's my opinion that it would be easier to rent a roller (usually rent for $225 / day), and have the blasted thing delivered to the job site.

Compaction is critical. How are you testing your compaction?
  10. GreenMonster

from NH

Well, this skid mount will only do about 4" as well, so I don't know that it provides a great deal more benefit, except it's 48" wide vs. 20-28" wide of a plate that will do 4".

AFter more thought, I believe that renting a ride-on is the way to go a well.