Skid steer / Multi terrain loader help

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by grassman222, Jan 26, 2010.

1. grassman222

grassman222 LawnSite Member

Hi everyone , i was wondering what would be better skid steer or MTL ? I do snow when it snows and from what i hear the MTL tracks will just get destroyed which makes me want to go with the skid steer but i lay sod and do yard renovations which a MTL would be better . So is there anything i can put on the tracks like ive seen these plastic bolt on things im not really read up on those though so i dont know . Any help is welcomed thanks :usflag:

2. talus

talus LawnSite Senior Member

I say go with the MTL but I'm obviously biased. The mtl pushes snow like nobody business. You will be much happier on the lawns also. As far as wear goes they will wear a little faster on pavement but from what I've seen with mine there is always a fine layer of slush or snow that helps them slide easier than you would think. A friend has the same machine I have (SR 80) and has been doing snow removal for two years. His machine has +/- 1700 hrs on it now and I hope mine will last just as long. The 3k hour mark will be reached before these wear out in IMO.

3. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

I put my Cat 247B2 through hell and back, the tracks would have gone over the 1000 hour mark and the rollers over the 1500 hour mark, track wear was even less than I thought off and on pavement. It's not the tread design that makes them better on ice, it's the rubber, it doesn't freeze as much.

I have a few video's on my YT page, as well as the Larry Lugs I think you might be thinking about, I made a video with thtem too.

4. talus

talus LawnSite Senior Member

I thought it was also the suspension of the mtl's that helped the traction.

5. sawinredneck

sawinredneck LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Why not an articulating unit?

Boxer makes several units.

6. grassman222

i did look at some of the articulated loaders . i dont think they would work for me though. dont get me wrong i like them and probably could use one for curtain things and if i hit the lottery ill have one . I dont know i have a friend of a friend that sells komatsu machines so im hoping to get a good deal on anything i choose .

7. grassman222

i thought i had it narrowed down to cat 257B MTL or the komatsu 35-1 MTL but im hearing alot of the cat being under powered and plus im paying alot for the name i think just like john deere . John deere i though was ridiculous on price for what i was getting , nice machines though .

8. grassman222

thanks for your thoughts and opinions everyone ,keep em coming

9. ioilyouin

ioilyouin LawnSite Senior Member

Have you looked at a Bobcat A-300? Very turf friendly, but I have no snow experience. I've heard that they do quite well.

10. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

Komatsu has a MTL? I haven't read/heard anyone that liked the 257. Maybe look at a skid with the VTS?