1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

skid steer no start (also warranty ?)

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by bobbyg18, Feb 21, 2007.

1. bobbyg18

bobbyg18 LawnSite Member

i have a thomas skid with around 250 hours haven't had any problems w/ it...i used it hard yesterday, cutting up ice and moving snow

today, i went down to the yard to clean up machine and at first it didnt start, nothing

then second try it started up, and i shut it down and didnt think about it...

then while washing it down i wanted to lift up the bucket and I couldnt start it again...nothing not cranking, while trying to jump start it would click, click but no start

i test loaded the battery and that was not the problem...

what do you guys think?...starter problem?

if it is the starter, is this normally under warranty?

i just called the dealer and they said they would have to call Thomas and for me to call back in the AM
  2. roguesuerte

roguesuerte LawnSite Member

I would still put the battery on a charger for half a day to make certain or try jumping it. The clicking is the starter soleniod so you do have some juice. The cold combined with a slightly undercharged could do it.
  3. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

The battery may be bad. Life as a battery in skid steer is tough. I would check the battery leads at the baterry and the starter. It sounds to me like something is loose. Especially the hit and miss way it started. I would check those and you'll probably find it. I would check that ASAP before the truck gets there. The battery will not be covered (you will pay for a truck and a tech to change a battery. It will be the most expensive battery you have ever purchased most likely). Also field calls typically are not covered by warranty. The parts and labor on the repair may be (depending on what it is) but the field service call itself wont be (typically).
  4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

It's possible you have a loose connection as mentioned. The clicking is the starter selenoid trying to turn over. Maybe a bad ground?

Field calls aren't covered by warranty? Ours was. About 3 weeks after we bought our 312, the cylinder for the hydraulic coupler was leaking fluid. I probably could have fixed it myself, but I figured why bother with a new machine. Called Cat, they drove 45 miles to fix it for free. No charge, nothing. Gotta love Cat service.
  5. bobbyg18

bobbyg18 LawnSite Member

thanks guys,

when the jumper cables are not hooked up, I get nothing at all, no clicking

only once the cables are connected do i get a click, click

also the battery tested over 12v on the load test, isnt that enough?
  6. bobbyg18

bobbyg18 LawnSite Member

o guys, one other thing that may/may not be of signifigance

at first when i couldnt get it started this AM i noticed i had left the lights in the "on" position...i turned them off and thats when it started up right away (2nd try)

then the rest of the day it wouldnt start

this shouldnt have any impact right?... the lights go off once the machine shuts down...is this just a coincidence?
  7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Well if you're getting clicking when the jumpers are hooked up and no clicking when they're disconnected, I can tell you that's a sure fire sign that the battery is down. When it clicks it means the selenoid is turning over, which means the battery has power, but not enough to crank over. So, if it's not clicking when the jumpers AREN'T connected, that tells us that the battery has no power.
  8. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds to me too like it's the battery. 250 hours is lower than an average life span for a skid steer battery though, at least in my experiences.

If you do need any field work done, I've always had that covered by warranty. I wouldn't let them charge me if a machine under warranty broke down on the job and couldn't be trasnported back to the dealer.
  9. neighborstree

neighborstree LawnSite Member

i gaurentee its frozen fuel or condinsation frozen in your fuel filter. park it inside or go outside with a hair dryer and a extention cord. diesel fuel freezes under 25 if its not winterized
  10. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

A healthy battery should read around 13 volts with the engine off and in the high 14's with the engine on.

If its lower than 12, you've got a dead cell.