Skid steer on 12ft trailer

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by asjgabries, Jan 27, 2008.

1. asjgabries

asjgabries LawnSite Member

Anyone here have a 12ft skid steer trailer? I was looking at getting a 12ft dump trailer and putting a skid steer in it.

2. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 LawnSite Senior Member

It would depend on what size skid steer you will be putting in it. It will work as long as it doesn't put too much tongue weight on the truck. Short trailers have a tendency to put allot on tongue weight on the hitch. Also make sure it doesn't put too much weight behind the axles on the trailer or else you will get trailer sway and loose control. With a short trailer it is hard to move the machine around to equalize the weight correctly. Just a thought.

3. ma5tr

ma5tr LawnSite Member
    from toronto

I had a 12' skidsteer trailer for my Cat 232b. I bought it new, and after a week with it realized I had made a horrible mistake. Way to much tongue weight, and it gave a very rough ride. luckily the manufacturer allowed us to upgrade to the 14' and took ours back no questions asked.

4. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

12' trailer is just too small in length. there is no extra room, and you will need the room. we use an 18' tandem axle, both dump and flat bed.

5. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

I like the gooseneck trailer way better what every length you get.Just pulls better less sway.Weight more even,,try one and you will notice the difference right away.

I would get bigger trailer like said,you will always need more room as you add attachment.Good luck.

6. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with that 100%. I like a gooseneck any day over bumper hitch, but If you are going to pull it behind a dumptruck like me then you have to go with the bumper hitch.

7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

We have a 14 foot dump trailer and it's too short, 12 feet would definately be way too short.

8. clydesdale

clydesdale LawnSite Senior Member

I have the same question, but I would purchase a bobcat 743 or 753 and I am only going to tow it home. But it may be up to 250 miles away. Once home, I'd rarely tow. I have a low profile HD 12 ft dump. Will this work? I tow with an f-350 diesel.

9. clydesdale

clydesdale LawnSite Senior Member

Furthermore, since this is mostly for the rare occassional transport, would taking of the bucket allow me to position it a little better on the trailer. Thanks. I just want to make sure I can get this home. I realize that if I was transporting daily, a longer trailer would be better. Thanks

10. sunray237

sunray237 LawnSite Member

I pulled my t-190 on a 12 foot anderson trailer behind a 2500hd with a 8100 vortex.
    It pulled alright but they are right about the tongue weight, it was a real trick to get it just right on that trailer.
    an inch either way made a major difference in the way it towed.
    I sold it and got an 18 foot and it's great,enough room for an attachment and the bobcat.
    by the time you put the skid in a dump trailer you have a heavy package to tow.