1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Skid Steer on a Regular Trailer?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by 4 seasons lawn&land, May 28, 2008.

1. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

Does anyone here put a smaller sized skid steer on a regular landscape trailer? I was wondering how large you could go before you need a heavy trailer. Regular trlrs are 7k gross but i dont know if you couldnt carry that weight in a skid because of the compact weight all in one area.
  2. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

if its under 5k i think you should be alright.. the compact size of the machine is not really a problem just make sure the weight is on the axles.. i would only be concerned if it was a trailer that has seen its better days or some off brand cheap trailer.
  3. rick2752

rick2752 LawnSite Member

remember that 7K is for the axles not the trailer so you also add the weight of the trailer itself. Bobcat weights many times dont include any buckets or attachments. If you are going to haul more than once or twice, I would recommend a heavier trailer.
  4. mow king

mow king LawnSite Senior Member

You should be alright with a smaller one. I know a guy that hauled a Cat 252 on a 7k landscape and he didn't have any problems...I wouldn't recommend that but a smaller skidsteer should be fine.
  5. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

how big would you go? 4k? 5? take 1500 from 7k gross for the weight of the trailer and get 5500. i thought that was only if the weight is distributed throughout the trailer.
  6. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Bad idea. A small skid steer and bucket still weigh around 7000#. With the weight of the trailer itself, you'd be overweight pretty fast. This is why they make 10-12,000# skid steer trailers.
  7. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

operating weight of a bobcat s-100 is 4100lbs. smallest one is 2900
  8. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

It will probably be alright, but I think you will destroy the trailer over the course of a year if you haul it alot.
  9. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

There are 5 zillion landscape companies that own both skid stears and "regular landscape trailers". How many times have you seen a skid stear on a "regular landscape trailer"? You think no one thought of it before?
  10. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry but you're wrong.... a 463 bobcat is about 2500 lbs....a bucket for it is < 200lbs.

I have a 3500 gvw trailer and its empty weight is 880lbs....if I were to use that trailer for hauling a 463 I would be challenged...but you dont need a 7000 lb rated trailer for the smaller skids.

The 10k trailers are good for the mid size skids,,,but way overkill for the compact ones.