Skid Steer "Over the Tire" tracks...

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by thepawnshop, Jul 21, 2005.

1. thepawnshop

thepawnshop LawnSite Senior Member

Are "over the Tire" skid steer tracks worth the money? I am considereing selling my skid steer and getting a CTL, but if I could get by with just purchasing tracks for my current skid steer, I may rethink that. I am considering the tracks made by Mclaren Rubber. I already have a set of their "semi-pneumatic" tires which are awesome, but I just can't move in the mud, and we seem to be getting thunderstorms almost daily here during the summer.

I would appreciate any and all opinions regarding tracks for skid steers.

2. alldredge_2008

alldredge_2008 LawnSite Member

It all depends really, if you can afford a CTL I would, but if you want to keep you machine for a while buy the tracks and working in mud and rain should pay for themselves quickly. I have used logering steel tracks and they work really good in the mud and slop. What type of skid steer are you running? They both have there pros and cons. If you want to save some money buy the tracks, but I'm not sure if you have to tighten the mclaren tracks, and i don't know if its difficult.

Good Luck! :blob3:

3. thepawnshop

thepawnshop LawnSite Senior Member

I have a John Deere 320 and am planning on trading it for either the new JD322 or a Gehl, but either way, I will be taking a 15+k hit, which is why just buying the tracks alone for my existing skid steer seems much more appealing. I can afford stepping up to a CTL, I'm just not sure I want to!

4. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

It really, really depends on how much rain you guys get, then. If you actually do a lot of asphalt work, steel over-the-tire tracks will rip up the asphalt, but likewise, a CTL's tracks won't last very long.

You best bet may yet be to look into the Loegering VTS system: http://www.loegering.com/VTS.htm
    They are just about going to run you 15k, but there are two advantages: first, you have the option of simply removing them and storing them for later use. This means you can run wheels or run tracks, without having two machines and without needing to spend hours to put on steel tracks. Second, generally speaking, they'll give you a lower PSI than steel OTT -- which may not give you quite the grip in, say, clay, but will allow you tread a bit softer in pure mud.

For most contractors looking to increase their mudability, I think the VTS system is a great solution. Going pure tracks may be more cost-effective in your case, so Doug, it would probably be smart to contact someone with the VTS system and compare their operating conditions with those you expect.

5. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I also run the Loegering steel tracks on my Cat. I've been very happy, but is time consuming to get them on and off, and that has created some scheduling problems for us. If we are working on a landclearing job with them on, then the next day running topsoil from the street into a backyard and we need them off, it is just a PITA. With them on, the machine is basically unstoppable (within reason). Still well worth the money.

6. iowacatman

iowacatman LawnSite Member

Rubber track drive undercarriage require a lot of maintenance. Costs can range from $5.00 to $12.00 per operating hour for maintenance. Application is everything.

If you are looking for traction, over the tire tracks are fine, and the rubber tracks have done well in our area. The steel tracks are fine, though you may need to replace your tires with pnuematic tires. Tracks will have very little affect on floatation.

If you are looking for floatation/traction, there is nothing better than an rubber track drive loader. If your gain in productivitiy and availability overcomes the additional maintenance cost (skid steers cost about $1.00/hour for tires), then it is the machine for you.

The VTS system is a pretty good option, but if it is going to cost you the same money to trade, then you may as well get a new machine.

7. arborist-28

arborist-28 LawnSite Member

from my experience the trax work well when it has rained alot and you have nice yard that you don't want to have to repair tire marks in .. c

8. TerraFirma Excavating

TerraFirma Excavating LawnSite Member

The McClaren sales DVD is awesome. After watching it, you'll want to buy a set of tracks even if you don't own a SSL :D

Sunday I was preparing to backfill a septic line, when we had a tremendous downpour. The silty/clay soils which I have immediately turned to mud. My tires performed less than desireable when driving forward, but were pretty much useless when backing up. I had to finish the job because the ditch was filling up with water, so I fought it. The whole time I was thinking about purchasing some over the tire tracks. I would own a set of over the tire tracks, but I have an odd-ball sized tire (31.5x13x16.5). If I bought a set of tracks, I'd have to purchase new wheels and tires also :realmad:

Thomas, Does McClaren now offer any tracks to fit my size tires (31.5x13x16.5) on a 773T Bobcat SSL? I think these tires are 0.4" wider and 1.2" shorter than a 12x16.5 tire. They are the same height as 10x16.5 tires, but 2.6" wider!

9. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

Thomas -- welcome to the forum! It's great to have someone here who can keep an eye on things... and misconceptions.

From your company's standpoint, what's the biggest disadvantage to going with the Loegering VTS system?

10. McLaren Industries

McLaren Industries LawnSite Member

The biggest disadvantage of Loegering VTS is simply the price. As of right now they only offer their setup for the larger skids and those setups run $15k they intend to offer it for smaller skids by the end of the year, but its still going to be 12K, for those kind of prices it doesn’t make sense, your simply better off buying yourself a track loader. Another disadvantage of the system is you can only use their specific track on them and there, no other manufactures make it and most likely never will, there just isn’t a enough of them out there for anyone to go threw the trouble of making a mold of them which leaves you with your pants down when 5-10 or whatever years down the road when they decided to not make it anymore? You either bend over BIG time to have a company make you a track or have a $15,000 dollar piece of yard art. The advantages of the system are the same when comparing a track loader to a skid. Hope that answers your question