skid steer over tire tracks?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by bobbyg18, Mar 25, 2007.

1. bobbyg18

bobbyg18 LawnSite Member

which ones do you guys recommend?...i think its time i invest in a set of these...i have been looking at a bunch of jobs lately and could probably start them now if i had tracks...

how much difference do they make? (i know theyre not ctl's )...for instance yesterday i attempted to start a french drain and after 4-5 passes i started getting stuck (wheels just dug into lawn and started getting stuck in ruts)...will tracks prevent this?

2. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I run the Loegering steel tracks on my Cat 246, what a great investment. I really can't think of a time that the machine wasn't able to work because of sand or mud. It will go through almost anything. The tracks stayed on most of last season, we worked in a lot of mud and sand. They have worn very little in almost three years, we just have had to adjust them occasionally. One drawback is changing a flat tire with the tracks on, just happened again on Thursday, set us back about two hours because I didn't have my spare on site.:hammerhead:
    Overall, would highly recommend them.

3. tallrick

tallrick LawnSite Senior Member

From experience the rubberband tracks help out a lot when you're running on a lawn or soft ground. Usually you get stuck when the wheels sink in and you churn up the mud digging yourself in. On sand tracks are good too, but getting oversize tires work just as well. If you work more on rocky ground I would recommend the steel tracks. You do realize that even a CTL can get stuck don't you?

4. MRBsx2

MRBsx2 LawnSite Member

I have a John deere 250, and i run grouser tracks...they work great i leave them on all the time unless it gets real dry or i have to work on blacktop. they give you a lot of traction and for what you described about sinking and bottoming out the tracks will definitly eliminate that problem. You will probobly never get stuck again.
    Gook luck!