skid steer owners i have a ? for ya

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by draftlawncare, Mar 2, 2007.

1. draftlawncare

draftlawncare LawnSite Member

what kind of work are you using your skid steer for ? I came across a good deal on a cat skid steer and i have been wanting to buy one for awhile .i am not really into landscaping and would like some ideas on how people are making money with their skidsteers

2. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

3. draftlawncare

yeah i know about the attachments

4. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

What have you been wanting a skid steer for? How are you going to use it? The attachments give you an idea about the different uses for them. Skid steers are probably the most widespread used machines on the market. Farmers, excavators, landscapers, concrete crews, street cleaners... the list goes on. I personally use a skid and CTL mostly for loading dirt and backfilling/grading.

5. brocksdiesel

brocksdiesel LawnSite Member

I think i have a better question. WHat can't you do with a skid steer?

6. jeffscap

jeffscap LawnSite Member

The list is almost endless,I agree with dozerman21, it's like your right arm(unless your left handed). What ever you use to use a shovel for and then some.:waving:

7. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

oh geez. We'd be no where with out it. Around the shop we use it for loading and unloading trucks, putting in weights for plowing, lifting the spray tank out of the back of the trucks, pulling in broke down mowers into fix bay. Various jobs we use it for Planting trees, digging, spreading mulch/dirt/stone, snow removal/push back banks/punching open drains/loading docks, Rock Hound, Brush cutting. Thats my list so far but the possiblities are endless.

8. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Don't buy if you don't need it...Why waste your capital....

Woudl you buy a wide area mower if you did not have any jobs lined up for it?...

I realize that you are looking for new business ventures, and all, but Try to find new work as as work comes up, then rent one so see if you can really be profitable at it.

My skid loader is 4 years old with 300 hours on it. Its nice to have, Especially durringwinter time for snow. and I use it to load debris into the dumpsters. and load mulchinto vehicles. buts thats pretty much it.

Its nice to have around, but its sits idle more often than not.

I have Grapple bucket, forks, smooth bucket and rotary broom as my attachments

9. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

It sounds like your trying to justify taking advantage of what you think is a good deal. CAT skid steers can be had for a song at nearly anytime you want one. If it is just an unbelievable deal than buy it and resell it if you don't need it. Otherwise why waste your money on something your having to work at to justify?

10. draftlawncare

well first money is not an issue so i am not really worried about that ....anyways i picked up a demo today and have it intill monday and have been running the hell out of it ..i cant believe how good it digs . i had 60 tons of gravel brought in today and the skid steer is doing a great job.
    i have rented them before on big mulch jobs but this is the first time i have really had a chance to do some real work with one