Skid Steer per hour rate?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by columbiaplower, Jun 22, 2002.

1. columbiaplower

columbiaplower LawnSite Senior Member

her my question- just picked up a fare amount of brush clearing. Thinking im gonna need a bobcat with a grappler on it. He told me he'd get a roll off dumpster and the bobcat taken care of. Id just have to show up do the work and leave. I figured id only need me and one man to dig junk out and to run my fs85 brush cutter. For the both of us $60 an hour???? Ive only done a little bit of loader work in the past and ive never done it by the hour.
    Thanks
    Nick

2. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

What are you paying your man? Also, what do you figure you need an hour for yourself? I would think that you may be able to charge $65-70 depending on the situation. If the customer is clearly a DIY type, then $60 may be the limit. If he's thinking fifteen bucks an hour per man, you can smile as you walk away from his mess.

3. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

I get $75.00 per hour for the skid steer and operator for an hourly basis, or $450.00 for the day with an operator.

4. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

If he's supplying the equipment, then it's just a matter of a charge per man hour. That being the case, $30-40 per man/hour is a fair price.

However, is he renting the equipment, or does he own a skid steer? If he's renting it to save being charged by you for it, red flags should start going up. Bid it high.

5. MJ LANDSCAPING

MJ LANDSCAPING LawnSite Member

I use my CAT skid steer for jobs like that and I charge $450 per day for machine and operator or $80. per hour. You gotta pay for that machine and get every penny for it or let the customer do it himself. Thats my motto.

6. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry for the stupid question but, what does DIY mean? I've heard this a few times on the boards.

7. Mataman

Mataman LawnSite Member

DIY = Do it yourself, or Do it yourselfers

8. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm kinda surprised you guys can get $450/day w/ a skid steer. A full size 4 wheel drive front end loader w/ hoe goes for $400/day w/operator. I can sub my skid steer guy (limited attachments included forks, teeth) for $300/day. Maybe in another year or so - I'll bite the bullet and get one myself.

Bob

9. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

How much to charge can not be a standard rate. It is dependent on the operators ability.
    As an example: I had a Keystone wall to build a few years ago. The guy that I always used charged $60/hr. The client insisted on his guy at $45/hr. After 8 hours of unskilled tooling around, I had to bring in my guy who fixed the other dudes mistakes and did my work in an hour and a half. The $45 an hour guy was not worth $25 no matter how much his overhead was.
    If your operator is as good and efficient as the guys charging $75 then have at it, but if he is not, it is going to hurt your reputation to charge that.

10. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Here union operators are getting $23 per hr plus benfits add on $2.50 per hour for insurance, another $2 per hour for fuel and tires, SS and medicare, then add in truck and trailer costs, ........ if your not getting $75 per hr or more your losing money.

Bad operators we send them back to the union hall...........

now that might be a good thread operator training???