Skid Steer Pricing?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by MassSteelerfan, Feb 13, 2008.

1. MassSteelerfan

MassSteelerfan LawnSite Member
    from Mass

Hello everyone, I am thinking about buying a skid this year. I was wondering is there a website or book to find invoice prices? I have been reading other posts where people have been saying that's msrp but I don't know how to find invoice. I basically pay invoice for trucks knowing there is holdback anyway, but don't have the slightest clue on how much skids are marked up and also how much "room" I have to negotiate onn them. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

All I can tell you is that trucks and equipment are two different things. I'll be honest with you, you're not going to get the absolute lowest price on a piece if it's your first one. If you haven't slung money around with them before, they're not going to give you the best deal possible. Sorry, but that's the truth. And I guarantee you won't be getting a machine for invoice. Car dealerships sell to the masses and morons who pay list price, they can afford to sell a few people a vehicle at invoice and make no money on it. Equipment sales are way less mainstream, sure they toss around more money, but you don't get at least 30 people on the lot per day looking at a new rig. They can't afford to not make money on every sale, but you can negotiate with them a little, it's just that the room for negotiation increases with every sale you have with them under your belt.

I don't haggle much, I get a price, ask them the best price they can do and go with that price or ask for some extras. In the end, your dealer is much more than an outlet for a sale, keep that in mind.

3. MassSteelerfan

from Mass

Scag, thanks for the info. I was assuming that I would not be able to haggle as much but don't want to get robbed as well. The reason I worry is I was recently at a show and you get so many different prices. For example, a Gehl 66 series skid was approx 32k, and Case and Cat were in the 40k range for a comparable model. I know case and cat have a longer reputation but am I getting 8k better the product??? or am i just paying for a name

4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Now you're jumping into a whole other discussion within itself. That's what you need to determine, that Cat dealership couldn't care less what a comparable Gehl costs. If you want a Cat, you'll buy a Cat, they are not going to adjust their pricing down to another make. I've spent a lot of time in a Gehl 5640 turbo. I like the machine, but they are bare bones, utilitarian machines, at least the one I ran was. I'm not a huge fan of Deutz engines, but that machine is pushing 85 horses and puts a lot of it to the ground.

There are features on Cat machines that I prefer over other makes. The only difference is that the average person might not appreciate those features like I do, so buying Cat vs. Gehl would be pointless.

5. MassSteelerfan

from Mass

Thanks sgag, maybe what I am trying to get at is, at the show I know there not going to give me rock bottom, unless I am asking to sign paper work, but lets say I was, is the cat dealer going drop from 40 to 36, 37 etc?? or does it all depend on how much they want the sale?? In other words, is there a rule of thumb on how much room I have to negotiate from msrp?

6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I see what you're saying now. There really isn't a rule, I'd say if they're asking $40K getting the machine for $36K would be a pretty good deal, that's 10% right off the top. You'd probably get them down to $38K pretty easily on a machine priced at $40K if they want you as a customer.

7. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

One other thing is different areas of the country have different values on the same product.

Takeuchi are very cheap here in Atlanta.
    From talking with others on this board as much as 15% cheaper.
    John Deere machines are priced good here as well.

Some areas are hitting a slowdown and the dealers are needing the buisness.
    It is a buyers market and look for dealers too sharpen their pencil.

The cheapest machine is not always the best either.

I will agree on the 10% is a fair discount and maybe a little more.