1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Skid Steer Question

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by GroundScapesIncorporated, Feb 2, 2007.

1. GroundScapesIncorporated

GroundScapesIncorporated LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Whos skid steer or CTL will succesfully load and unload a flat bed. I know that alot of machines will move around 3000-3400 pounds but what machines will truely handle it?
  2. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

This depends if your talking about using pallet forks or bucket for loose material. Almost all full size machines will work. Never attempt to unload on soft ground or if either machine or trailer is not level. Avoid accessories like forks that clamp onto your bucket as this moves the center of gravity forward and decreases your lifting capacity.
  3. GroundScapesIncorporated

from VA

Im talking about unloading or loading a pallet of pavers or a pallet of retaining wall blocks off or onto a flat bed truck.
    I know how to safely unload materail with equipment, the question was not directed to how to do it, but rather what machines will do it.
  4. patpls

patpls LawnSite Member
    from Mn

GSI, this is the exact question I'm trying to get an answer to aswell. I borrowed a pallet of pavers 2800lbs, and drove them to a Bobcat dealer to actually try different machines out. First I tried a s185 no weights added. Was marginal and any kind of a slope wouldn't have happened. Next was a s205 no weights added , did the job better and with weights would have been easier and safer. Currently I have a 763 that will move pallets at ground level but can't handle the weight from over 2 1/2 ft. So my recommendation is to grab a pallet of whatever you want to move and take it to your skidsteer dealer, cause I know I already feel better about putting down money after I know the limits of the machines.
  5. Masonman

Masonman LawnSite Member

I've become quite fond of the Takeuchi TL140 we have. It is my favorite piece of equipment. Good lifting capability, digs great, and overall the most comfortable skid loader I have ever been in. Plus, compared to a dozen other different skidloaders I have been in, it has the best visibility from the operators seat and plenty of room inside for large operators.
  6. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 262 cat that I use for any heavy lifts we need done. It will handle pretty much anything I can throw at it. Can lift mafia blocks to full height with a bucket on as well. The blocks are normally in the 3k-3500lb range. :)
  7. GroundScapesIncorporated

from VA

Thanks thats the kind of answer we needed.

Do you ever wish you would have went with a track machine?
  8. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Groundscapes -

I don't have an exact answer as to "which CTL machine will" lift that.

But I do know the CTL machines that will lift that are heavy machines, expensive, and require a 12,000# GVW trailer, which puts your driver's license requirements in a whole different classification.

I have recently written at length my thoughts about CTL vs Rubber Tire, on this message aboard. Here is the link to the thread with hmy thoughts: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=170694

I have expressed alotta good thoughts! So click on the link!

We have a CAT 246 (with counterweight) and it WILL lift 3,000 pounds off our medium duty dump truck, which stands at typical large truck height.
  9. GroundScapesIncorporated

from VA

Thanks DVS,

I had never considered a Gehl. What you say makes sense though.

The whole Tires and Tracks thing has kept me from buying a skid steer for a year know. I am back in forth with it constantly, thats why we are still using a Kubota Tractor/backhoe combo for everything. The biggest thing that keeps me turned on about the track machine is Hill side stabibilty, 80% of our work is on the lake. most of which is on the side of a hill headed to the lake.

DVS thanks for sharing, your help is greatly appreciated.
  10. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not sure how steep your hills are, but a few weeks ago I rented a Tachuechi (sp) track loader because we had installed a septic system at the bottom of a very steep hill.

we needed a small loader for backfilling some trenches, as well as for rough grading, and I knew our rubber tire machine would NOT make it up the hill when we finished.

well guess what!

NEITHER DID THE TACHUECHI! It would not go up the hill. It just dug a hole with its tracks. And Tach, in their advertising, assures us consumers that it WILL GO ANYWHERE!

I had to use the neighbor's yard to exit the property.

So, I hear good things about dedicated track machines.

Tach is supposed to be the best out there.

I wasn't impressed.