Skid Steer Service for Landscapers

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by fichthornent, Mar 29, 2004.

1. fichthornent

fichthornent LawnSite Member

I've just started a landscaping business and I am interested in providing Skid Steer Services for the small scale landscaper.

I am doing standard jobs (i.e. mulching, planting, trimming, etc.) to supplement things, but I would like to move away from this to provide only small scale excavation.

Any suggestions on how to approach landscapers with my services?

2. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi fichthornent,

Could you get a list of local contractors and then maybe send them letters with a letter and business card size magnets that promote your company?

3. fichthornent

That's a good idea. Thanks!

Also, what would you say is a frequent job that requires the use of a skid loader? The range of attachments are endless, but do any of you think would be the most valuable (i.e. trencher, spade, etc. etc.)?

Also, what do you think would be a fair B2B rate to charge for my services? I was thinking $55/hr for equipment and operator. Is this too much or a fair price?

4. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

I pay $65-$85/hr. to a guy for large jobs requiring a skidsteer. If you don't have the rubber tracks don't expect a lot of calls. Traditional skidsteers tear the turf and soil up real bad.
    As far as attachments go, you will need a grapple bucket, stump grinder, tree auger, etc.

5. fichthornent

Dave,
    Thank you for your advice! I will plan on getting tracks (I have noticed ground damage from my loader, but I haven't been in a situation where damage was a problem).

I do have access to all of the attachments that you mentioned, but their initial cost has prohibited me from purchasing them outright.

Sincerely,
    Nate