skid steer service?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by skidster32, May 7, 2007.

1. skidster32

skidster32 LawnSite Member

how many of you guys think it would be profitable to start a skid steer service in central Illinois? I was thinking more concrete/asphalt demo. but really anything with a skid steer. I know a guy that pours concrete, all he really wants to do is pour flat work so he will sub all his demo to me, but i want second thoughts. this would only be part time because i hold another job. as does the man that pours concrete.

2. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont know about your area, but around here they are a dime a dozen. They are around almost as much as cars and trucks anymore.

3. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I would try and line up some additional customers before you get into it. One part time concrete guy is not going to pay the bills. Your initial outlay of money will be relatively substantial. Skid Steer, dump truck, trailer, perhaps breaker and grapple bucket, laser, compaction equipment ect,.

4. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

Like KSSS said, it's going to be hard for you to make any profit going at it part time, especially if you've only got one contractor that you're working with. Don't forget things like plates, insurance, repairs, maintenence, etc...

If you do go through with it, you need more work than what 1 part time guy can give you. I would also go the dump truck route. That way you can have both pieces making money. Maybe you could find a package deal on a S/A dump with a tag trailer and skid steer. You might be able to find someone getting out of the business.

5. Fieldman12

Something else you may want to consider is having work lined up is great, but what is your experience? I mean are you wanting simple jobs or are you getting into stuff that you need to have a laser level. A person really needs to get a little seat time under there belt. A person can go out and drive the machine and move dirt, but can he grade and make things within the tolerance needed. Allot of people by the machine and dont know what there getting into. It takes time and experience. Im just doing mine on the side when I have time. I dont expect to get rich and besides the machine pays for itself on the farm. To make money a person really needs to do it full time or at least three or four days a week. It can make you some money but dont forget you have to be in the seat. Something else is you need to have any understanding of different types of soils that you may be dealing with and have a idea on how water may drain and flow to know how to route things. Like i said depends on how far you want to take it. I like being around dozers, backhoes, and excavators so I try to learn all I can. Having allot of stuff done on the farms over the years and having friends in the business has really helped out.

6. skidster32

skidster32 LawnSite Member

all this guy wants us to do is come in and do the demo, oddly enough he dosnt want any grading done. which to me is weird but what ever. i have been running loaders for quite sometime now, and i am very capable of doing this guys grading or any type of grading that is rough or finish. but we are going to ease our way in and see how things work out. we are going to rent for about a year then see how its going. but other than that we have all the necissary equipment to do the job other than the loader.

7. Fieldman12

Sounds like you should be fine then.

8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Renting for a while works out nicely for a couple reasons. First, it allows you to get into the business with minimal equipment costs and allows you to use capital elsewhere. It also allows you to find the right machine for the majority of your tasks, which can be the most valuable part of the renting process.

9. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

Keep in mind also, from the rental side of things, that alot of the rental companies will only rent to established businesses. No cash, no credit cards fro rentals. You fill out an credit account app and go from there. Of course you can pay on your acct however you want.

10. tallrick

tallrick LawnSite Senior Member

From what I see there's just too many guys with skid steers for a business to be profitable. If you only do occasional work it's better to just get an older one so you don't sink a bunch of money into something that may not give much returns. Go for something a few years old, in good shape and also learn to do your own maintenance. If you can't make a lot of money with it you can still sell it and get your money back. If you can't work on it yourself renting may be your best option. You know that almost every time a skid steer breaks down there goes at least 1000 dollars if you take it to the dealer. I just rebuilt a directional valve on a 763 last weekend. You would be amazed how many owners DON"T change their filters or top off their oil like they should.

And yes, practice is very important. It's been so long since I ran a skid steer on a job I bet I forgot how! I often wish there was a way I could keep in practice, with skid steers, dozers, loaders, etc, but for now I have my old Bobcat for those occasional home projects.